How to Fix “Verification Required” for Apps Downloads on iPhone and iPad

Mar 18, 2018 - 47 Comments

How to Fix Verification Required message on iPhone or iPad

You may discover a “Verification Required” error message when attempting to install or update free apps from the iOS App Store on an iPhone or iPad, thereby preventing the user from downloading apps or updating any apps.

The complete message is either “Verification Required – Before you can make purchases, you must tap Continue to verify your payment info.” or “Verification Required. Tap Continue and sign in to view billing information.” if you see this message on an iPhone or iPad when trying to download, install, or update free apps you might be annoyed and want to stop the error and fix it. The verbiage varies slightly depending on the iOS release.

This tutorial will show you who to stop the “Verification Required” message on iOS, either when downloading free apps or app updates on an iPhone or iPad.

Why do I see a “Verification Required” message in the App Store for iOS?

It turns out the “Verification Required” message on iOS is a result of the payment method used on the Apple ID associated with the device. Accordingly, you will see that Verification Required billing message if the payment method failed, if there’s an unpaid balance on the account, or if the device has never purchased or downloaded anything or any free app before, or if the payment method has not been updated as needed. Thus, to stop the Verification Required message, in iOS, you will need to change the payment method, either to a valid payment method, or to ‘none’ which allows no payment details to be associated with an Apple ID and App Store. Below we will detail the exact steps to accomplish this task.

Before beginning: note that if you simply add a valid credit card to an Apple ID, the “Verification Required” message will not appear at all, and you can avoid verification for updates and installs as long as you disable “Require Password” for free downloads on the iPhone or iPad App Store settings.

How to Fix “Verification Required” When Installing Free Apps on iPhone and iPad

If you don’t want to add or verify a credit card with the Apple ID, or if the payment method expired, or you don’t want to use one at all, then you must change a setting on your Apple ID to stop the “Verification Required” message. Here’s how to do that:

1. Open the “Settings” app on the iPhone or iPad
  2. Choose “iTunes & App Store” settings, then tap on the “Apple ID: your@email.com” button at the top of the settings
  3. How to stop Verification Required message in iOS with App Store

4. Tap on “View Apple ID” and sign in to the Apple ID as usual
  5. Sign in to adjust billing information to stop Verification Required message from App Store

6. In the Account Settings section, tap on “Payment Information”
  7. How to stop Verification Required message in iOS with App Store

8. Under ‘Payment Method’, choose “None” – or, alternatively, update the payment method *
  9. Fixing Verification Required message in iOS with App Store updates and downloads

10. Tap on “Done” when finished adjusting your settings
  11. Exit Settings, and return to the App Store of iOS where you are now able to freely download, install, and update apps without seeing any “Verification Required” message

This should completely resolved the “Verification Required” message when performing App Store actions in iOS, whether updating apps, downloading new apps, or installing any apps, onto an iPhone or iPad.

* Whether or not you choose to update payment information associated with an Apple ID is entirely up to you. If you’re using the App Store without a credit card then you’d want to choose the “None” option, which allows updating and downloading free apps without ever needing any sort of verification of payment or even a payment method at all. Or if the payment method has expired, you can choose “None” too and bypass the ‘Verification Required’ message that way as well, and then later go back and update the payment details if need be. Keep in mind if you have an unpaid balance on the Apple ID for a purchase, subscription, etc, you must pay that balance before you can choose the “None” option or before you can stop the Verification Required billing message.

Now you know how to stop “Verification Required” when installing apps in iOS, it works for free apps, updates, and paid apps too.

Separately but related, if you also don’t want to authenticate with an Apple ID password upon each instance of downloading and installing iOS apps on the iPhone or iPad, you can disable password requirements for free downloads from App Store in iOS (and for Mac users, there is a similar setting to enable free downloads without passwords for Mac App Store too).

Did this work to resolve the “Verification Required” message in the App Store for your iPhone or iPad? Are you now able to download, install, and update apps in iOS without the Verification Required payment and billing message? Do you have another trick to fix that message? Let us know your experience in the comments below!

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. The Complaints of Cristoph says:

I’ve seen this error on kid devices before. Setting up an Apple ID with no payment system, like for kids, is a good idea to avoid these situations.

For a personal device, you’ll almost certainly need a payment method attached because iCloud free storage is so minimal that it’s unusable without paying more. This is particularly annoying when you buy someone an iPad or Mac as a gift, because then you’re buying them a new bill to their existing bills. What kind of gift costs someone money? Ugh.

I do find it insulting to spend so much money on multiple Apple products and then have to pay even more to use iCloud which is deeply integrated into everything. And then Apple Music and iCloud Music are two additional separate purchases too? Give me a break, nickel and dimed. How about including them all in the same fee for $10/month? Infinite iCloud storage, infinite music. Apple should make it simple. But Apple today is shareholder centric, so is having a billion revenue streams their goal rather than user satisfaction?

2. Scott says:

Hi when I go into payment option there is no option to click none

• Otis says:

You will find several payment choices in the Payment section of the Apple ID settings. Options are: Credit Card, Debit card, Paypal, and “None” – you must choose the “None” option in Payment settings if you want to get rid of the payment method entirely.

If you can not select “None” it means there is an outstanding balance owed on the account which must be paid before you can choose “None” as the payment option.

• Torsten says:

None is only there when you have created your Apple ID on the device directly. If you have created it over the web page it won’t show you “None”

3. Christine says:

Hi I was able to follow all the steps but None wasn’t an option for me to click on. There was only my current card and paypal. Those were the only two options None wasn’t. Please help.

4. Benjamin D says:

I have had similar issues, one where, randomly, it would pop up asking for me to enter my password for my apple ID, it was often and very irritating.

Come to find out, when I went into my Apple ID account, either the security code or the expiration date on the card was needing to be verified. Once I completed this the pop-ups stopped happening.

I think there is a time limit on the account, if you don’t log in for so many months or don’t purchase for so long or some unknown thing, it will “forget” something about your card and need verification, perhaps to make sure you are still you, I guess. (I hate this crap).

Another thing that can happen is if you get a new card from your financial institution, you need to remember to update your Apple ID account.

5. Benjamin D says:

ALSO: another way to load your account is with an itunes/app store gift card. This is my preferred method, as you can typically get these at 10-15% or even 20% off.

If you cannot select “None” than you either have outstanding amount owed, or, active subscriptions (this is a guess). I don’t think you can select “none” if you have active subscriptions with a $0 balance. You need to either cancel those subscriptions or add to your account balance (see my other comment about using iTunes/app store gift cards).

6. Jd says:

Hey did all these steps still receiving sane verification using iPhone 8

7. Ethan W says:

When I select None, it says that “this type of payment is not accepted on this device.” I have a Visa Gift Card with no money on it on my account and it won’t let me get rid of it. What do I do?

8. Vic says:

I followed every step was even able to click none but that annoying thing still pops up. What do I do cause it’s dumb annoying

9. Brandon says:

I followed the steps on my iPhone X and I was able to select none and it didn’t work.

10. DA says:

I did all the steps and I still get the verification message

11. RH says:

I also did all the steps, waited for 24 hours, turned the phone off and on and but still get the verification message.

12. Ahmad says:

I tried this. But not yet resolve this. What should I do now? Help me

13. PAP says:

My payment method has changed to ‘None’, but ‘Verification Required’ still show when I try to install apps from appstore.
    Please help

14. Alexis says:

This method is not working for me it still makes me verify then after I do what it says then press done it makes me do it all over again and won’t let me get the app I want. I need to get this app now and it won’t let me I’ve tried everything, please help me by replying back please!

15. Christa says:

I am also getting this message. My payment method is set to none. I am trying to update 16 apps, and it keeps trying to verify my billing, and when I do, it won’t do the update. I checked and my Apple ID balance is $0.00. My software is updated to iOS 11.3.

16. Nate says:

Im having same problem too.. m6 balance says o.oo , i can vhange the setting to “None” but its still popping up.. now i can download the apps, i need to us.. camt update the apps i am using.. hmm i wonder whats going om

17. Julio Castillo says:

Hi I have been getting this message for 2 days now I have been visiting every video that says put none and I did do that but it still says verification required when I’m trying to download or update a Free app what do I do

18. Lindsey says:

I did this and it still pops up and won’t let me download anything or update any of my apps.

19. Ethan says:

I did all of the steps and it still has the pop up that doesn’t let me download an app

20. Jenna says:

I’ve had this problem for weeks and no matter what I do, I even tried adding a $10 gift card on and that’s there and it’s still telling me to verify. It’s annoying, it will let me download brand new apps but not to download ones I have had previously or it won’t let me update. Someone please help me fix this.

21. Lisa says:

I seem to be having the same problem as everyone else….unable to download any apps without “verification Required”. I followed all the steps and changed my payment information to “none”. Made no difference 😖

22. Sam says:

I had this same problem, and I then chose “none” as a payment option, and it still brings up that verification required box when I try to download free apps or update apps. Please Help!!!

23. Amy says:

Yeah, switched it to “none” it still didn’t fix the issue! Get it together and fix this problem PLEASE!!!!

24. Jeneane says:

Same as all of you change to nine and still can’t update anything.

25. Lj says:

I followed all the steps and still getting same error, I can not download previous or new apps that are free

26. LBC says:

Same here – all steps- all good – no downloads ..

27. CIO says:

IT completely worked!!! THANK You

28. Garima says:

Hi I have followed the same instructions of doing the setting none … still facing the same the problem plz help

29. stephanie says:

I have used this procedure several times, and, no matter what, it still continues to tell me to verify my billing information. I can no longer download anything at all or even update apps.

30. hbk says:

i don’t have the option “none” either and can’t download, purchase, or update applications.

31. Sandra says:

This is so frustrating I have done this over and over again but no luck

32. Trent says:

The only fix for me was updating my credit card information. I’ve tried othe suggestions and nothing worked until updating my credit card info.

33. James says:

Your solution is BS! It doesn’t work!

34. Nesha Harris says:

I feel apple is so childish for not solving this issue

35. John says:

I did this but the verification required is still coming up

36. Brittany says:

Thank you!!!!!!

37. Jessica says:

Still not working.. I updated my payment info, deleted payment info selected none and still not working

38. Craig says:

I had same problem where None was selected and it still required verification. The way I fixed it was to add a valid credit card, then when it accepted it, I went back in to iTunes and followed the steps to select “none” and it worked. I’m frustrated that they forced me to add a credit card even though I will never use it on iTunes. I did not want to trust them with my information and them forcing it on me makes me trust them less.

39. crystal says:

Hi Guys..
    I know how awful it is because I faced the same experienced as you guys. I tried my best to fixed it. I got one solution make sure that you put the right apple id that you download the apps. I change my apple id so it doesn’t work then I put again my old apple id then it works, hope this helps ….

40. Nelly says:

I tried this but when I went to download another free app it still showed up how can I fix this

41. Jay says:

I followed all the steps and set it to “None” but it STILL ask for a payment method, this is very annoying. Can someone help me?

42. Megan Grant says:

Hi, I have followed all the steps multiple of times but this hasn’t worked. Still asks for verification. This is very frustrating as I have no Snapchat!! Need this fixed ASAP

43. Humberto Nieves says: