MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 Update Available for Download

May 13, 2019 - 30 Comments

MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 update

Apple has released MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 to all Mac users running the Mojave operating system. The macOS 10.14.5 update includes several bug fixes along with AirPlay 2 support for AirPlay 2 compatible smart TVs.

Mac users running MacOS High Sierra or Sierra will also find a Security Update available for those prior system software releases.

Separately, Apple also released iOS 12.3 update for iPhone and iPad, alongside tvOS 12.3 for Apple TV and watchOS 5.2.1 for Apple Watch.

How to Install MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 Update

The simplest way to install a software update in MacOS Mojave is through the Software Update control panel. Be sure to backup the Mac with Time Machine (or a backup of your choice) before proceeding with any system software update.

1. Go to the  Apple menu in the top left corner of the screen, and then choose “System Preferences”
  2. Select the “Software Update” control panel
  3. Choose “Update Now” when MacOS 10.14.5 appears in the list of available updates

MacOS 10.14.5 update

Note: Security Update 2019-003 for macOS High Sierra and MacOS Sierra will be found in the Mac App Store “Updates” tab instead.

The Mac will automatically reboot itself to complete installation. How long it takes to complete updating to 10.14.5 depends on a variety of factors, including the speed of the internet connection to download the software update, the speed of the Mac, the Mac model itself, and what the existing MacOS installation version is.

MacOS 10.14.5 weighs in up to 2.8GB for some Mac models.

Download links for MacOS 10.14.5 Update, MacOS 10.14.5 Combo Update

Another option is to download MacOS 10.14.5 as a package update or combo update directly from Apple, outside of the software update mechanism. Updating Mac OS by using a combo update is relatively easy but generally reserved for advanced users:

The combo update can be used to update MacOS Mojave from a prior Mojave release, allowing for updating directly from an earlier Mojave build like macOS 10.14.2 to macOS 10.14.5 for example, whereas the delta update can only be used to update from 10.14.4 to 10.14.5.

MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 Release Notes

The following release notes pertain to MacOS 10.14.5 Update:

The macOS Mojave 10.14.5 update improves the stability and reliability of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.

Adds AirPlay 2 support for sharing videos, photos, music and more from your Mac directly to your AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV.

Adds the ability to follow a magazine from the Apple News+ catalog browsing view.

[J only] Includes support for the Reiwa (令和) era of the Japanese calendar

Improves audio latency on MacBook Pro models introduced in 2018.

Fixes an issue that prevented certain very large OmniOutliner and OmniPlan documents from rendering properly.

Disables accessories with insecure Bluetooth connections.

Enterprise content:

Fixes an issue that prevented resetting the user account password from the login window after using a personal recovery key (PRK) to unlock the FileVault volume.

Fixes an issue that prevented the InstalledApplicationList MDM command from recognizing that updates are available for apps installed via VPP.

Aside from MacOS 10.14.5, Apple released updates to other system software, and users can also download iOS 12.3 for iPhone or iPad, tvOS 12.3 for Apple TV, watchOS 5.2.1 for Apple Watch, and find other smaller updates to other Apple software as well, including to HomePod.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X, News

1. joe says:

Just installed macOS 10.14.5 with the Combo Update on a MacBook Air 2018 model, it took about 30 minutes and no problems.

There was also an apparent firmware update in mine but I has skipped the prior updates so it may have been from one of those.

Anyway, let’s hope this stops the t2 crashes and screen flicker thing.

• fleur says:

i have a problem with the update. when i clicked on ‘update now’, it says ‘unable to verify software update. you can try again to complete the installation.’

what now?

2. Mick says:

Hmmmm….. ran SW update, says 10.14.4 is latest. Check app store too, same thing. Checked OSX update site, same thing. Where the hell did you get the update????

• Paul says:

MacOS 10.14.5 update is available through Software Update in System Preferences on any Mac running Mojave. Sometimes you have to close System Preferences and reopen it to see the update available.

You can also download it from Apple directly as a combo update from other Mojave releases:

I installed it earlier and am running MacOS 10.14.5 now, fairly uneventful update thus far (which is a good thing!).

• no way says:

SW update says I am up to date also.

3. Todole says:

Some Mac users had problems with Gmail accounts in Mail app for MacOS Mojave with prior builds, if you’re still having problems with Gmail accounts in Mail app on MacOS 10.14.5 then you can try to do this:

– Remove the Gmail accounts from the Mail app

– Manually re-add the Gmail account(s) but don’t use the ‘Add Gmail’ option instead use the “Other Mail” option to manually enter the appropriate Gmail data, mail servers, username, password

Some people had success with simply re-adding the Gmail account through the ‘Add Gmail / Google’ button but not everyone. If that fails, try the Other Mail option and set it up manually and it should work.

Hope that helps someone.

You can also just use iCloud.com as email address…. Ha

• Daniel says:

I also set up my mail accounts manually. So far its stopped the connection problems and the need to verify/authenticate mail with Safari.

Sad to have to, but it works.

• Ivy says:

I also had that problem. Very annoying! But this new update seems to fixed the problem. Since the update last night there were no mail-accounts offline anymore. Not on my Macbook Air neither on my iMac at work!

4. DarkNightmare says:

Does Quicktime pro 7 and similar apps are still working on this OS update or they won’t work anymore if I do update my MacBook Pro and my Mac Mini?

5. Ben says:

Download it from Apple directly as a combo update and installed yesterday and, I know it’s hard to believe, it has improved my iMac’s performance.

If I wasn’t tetotal, I’d have a stiff drink to recover from the shock of not having to sort out yet more Apple caused problems…

• david says:

Ben said :

Yes this version feels a lot faster , my 2014 Macmini has never been this good .

6. Lee says:

Found a bug, SMB sharing, it keeps cutting off all SMB connected users and its doing it on two different machines. If I enable AFP users can connect. If I turn off SMB sharing it sits there saying its shutting it down but does nothing leaving the only choice to reboot the Mac. I have now disabled Spotlight on all hard drives and removed it as a user from sharing. Rebooted and I will see what happens. Thanks Apple, apart from the speed increase another problem created!

• Daniel says:

I am having the same problems here. I really feel like 10.14 is a perpetual beta release. If I could get a web browser working, I’d go back to Snow Leopard.

7. Lee says:

Dont install 10.14.5, it kills File Sharing SMB. Two different machines and different places and SMB dies after anything more than 20 minutes. The only solution is to activate AFP and use that. Thanks Apple, another great job. Yes the mac is faster, but killing SMB, really bad

• tubio says:

I use SMB frequently, I will look into this. I updated to 10.14.5 and have not found a problem with Samba shares yet. SMB is used so often in the workplace and home networks, this would be a big problem if SMB does not work with MacOS now.

• lee says:

I installed it and at first all seemed correct, then after all users connected via SMB get disconnected. I had to enable AFP for them to connect

• Patrick says:

SMB File Sharing (both up and down) works fine for me in 10.14.5. Don’t always presume it’s the OS, if no one else is reporting this problem…. guess what, it’s probably an issue on your end.

• Daniel says:

The problem people are having is being reported elsewhere as well. It’s also intermittent, so I (and others) didn’t notice it right away.

8. Walt Wooden says:

I had the same issue as Lee. We have 15 people that connect to SMB with the File Server and they can’t stay connected for more than 10 minutes before I had to restart the server. I ended up having to downgrade to get it to work properly.

• John C says:

Hi.

Having the same issue since moving from 10.14.4 to 10.14.5. Could you tell me how to roll back to 14.4 please? This is a major issue for me.

• Daniel says:

I’m pretty sure you would have to have a time Machine or other system backup to roll back. Individual incremental updates (.4 to .5 etc.) aren’t downloadable from Apple.

You can still get 10.13 though if it came with your system originally, via the appstore.

• John C says:

Thanks for that Daniel. Managed to roll back to 10.14.4 using Time Machine and the connectivity seems a lot more stable than it did using 10.14.5. We’re running 4 iMacs to a Mac Mini server containing images and pre-Mojave we had no issues at all as we were still running AFP connections. Thanks to our new Mini being an APFS file system AFP isn’t an option any more. Seems that a few people are getting SMB connection errors. Hopefully it’s sorted soon.

9. Tomi says:

don’t know what all the people here are b**chin’ about?! My update worked, as always with macOS, fast and flawless! So far no problems. Quite the opposite: the first thing I noticed was that the battery lasts about half an hour longer!!!

10. GOODSHOW says:

2019 old macbookpro 10.14 now, but how to upgrade 10.14.5
    ?

11. Daniel says:

If you are on 10.14 now, you should be able to get the update from system preferences, software update or download the update directly from apple’s website.

12. Alan Sofer says:

Since updating to 10.14.5 my late 2015 27″ iMac screen starts flashing whenever either the mouse or trackpad is used .
    Have done a hardware check and all 100%.
    Any answers as to a fix appreciated !!!

13. Whodini says:

OK here’s a weird issue that you might encounter with updating to macOS Mojave 10.14.5 or later, I think it forces APFS or something. Anyway you get a weird error like “failed to unwrap volume key” APFS errors or “failed to unwrap meta crypto space”. The symptom is usually the Mac is stuck on Apple logo, never booting beyond the Apple logo.

If you get the “failed to unwrap volume key” APFS errors on boot, do this fix:

– Restart the Mac into Recovery Mode (hold down COMMAND R on system start)

– In Recovery Mode, go to the Utilities menu and open Terminal

– Find the hard drive volume:
    diskutil apfs list

– Unlock the volume using the following (replace diskXs1 with your disk volume):
    diskutil apfs unlockVolume diskXs1

– Now update the preboot for that disk, again replace diskXs1 with yours:

diskutil apfs updatePreboot diskXs1 -od /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default

– Reboot the Mac

I found this on Twitter and it worked for me