iOS 8.1 Download Released with Apple Pay, Camera Roll, Wi-Fi Fix, Bug Fixes, etc
Apple has released iOS 8.1 for all compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices. The update offers a variety of new features for mobile devices, and also resolves some of the bugs and issues that existed with prior versions of iOS 8. The iOS 8.1 update is recommended for all users to install on their respective devices.
iOS 8.1 features include Apple Pay support, which allows mobile payments to be made at participating retail providers from an iPhone using Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and major US banks; additionally, there is the inclusion of iCloud Photo Library, new Continuity features for Mac users with Yosemite, the re-inclusion of Camera Roll in the Photos app, and many additional changes and bug fixes. The complete release notes for iOS 8.1 can be found below.
It is not yet known if iOS 8.1 resolves all experienced issues with battery drain and iOS 8 wi-fi connection difficulties that were encountered by some individuals running iOS 8 and iOS 8.0.2, but preliminary reports are encouraging.
Download & Install iOS 8.1 with Software Update
The simplest way for most users to download and install the iOS 8.1 update is through the Over-The-Air software update mechanism directly on their devices. You must be on a wi-fi network for this to work. Download sizes for iOS 8.1 depend on the device being installed upon, ranging from as small as 160MB to as large as 2GB.
- Back up the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iCloud or iTunes
- Open the “Settings” app and then “General” and to “Software Update”
- Choose “Download & Install” and let the update process complete
Do not skip the back up process, it is rare but things occasionally go wrong and you do not want to lose your data.
The update may sit on “Preparing Update” for quite some time before beginning the actual installation. Just let it sit and complete the process.
iOS 8.1 can require a sizable amount of free storage space available to install. If you do not have free space available to complete the installation, you can follow these instructions and install it through iTunes, thereby circumventing the storage space limitation.
Install & Update to iOS 8.1 with iTunes
Users also have the option of connecting their iOS device to iTunes and installing the iOS 8.1 update that way. This is the best way to install the update if you don’t have storage available on the device to install iOS 8.1 with OTA. Again, be sure to back up to iTunes before you do this.
iOS 8.1 IPSW Firmware Download Links
Direct links to firmware downloads from Apple servers are available below. For best results, use Chrome or Safari and choose “Save As” when downloading the IPSW file, be sure it has a .ipsw file extension (it is not a zip or archive).
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 5s (Model A1453, A1533)
- iPhone 5s (Model A1457, A1518, A1528, A1530)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1456, A1532)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1507, A1516, A1526, A1529)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1428)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1429)
- iPhone 4s
- iPod touch (5th Generation)
- iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular
- iPad Mini 3 (Model A1599)
- iPad Mini 3 (Model A1600)
- iPad Mini 3 (Model A1601)
- iPad Air (Model A1474)
- iPad Air (Model A1475)
- iPad Air (Model A1476)
- iPad Mini 2 (Model A1489)
- iPad Mini 2 (Model A1490)
- iPad Mini 2 (Model A1491)
- iPad (4th Generation Model A1458)
- iPad (4th Generation Model A1459)
- iPad (4th Generation Model A1460)
- iPad Mini (Model A1432)
- iPad Mini (Model A1454)
- iPad Mini (Model A1455)
- iPad Wi-Fi 3rd Generation
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT / GSM)
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon / CDMA)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
iOS 8.1 is officially compatible with iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5C, iPod touch 4th gen, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini, iPad Mini Retina, and iPad Mini Retina 2. Older devices do not support the update.
iOS 8.1 Release Notes
This release includes new features, improvements and bug fixes, including:
- Apple Pay support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus (U.S. only)
- Photos includes new features, improvements and fixes
- Adds iCloud Photo Library as a beta service
- Adds Camera Roll album in Photos app and My Photo Stream album when iCloud Photo Library is not enabled
- Provides alerts when running low on space before capturing Time Lapse videos
- Messages includes new features, improvements and fixes
- Adds the ability for iPhone users to send and receive SMS and MMS text messages from their iPad and Mac
- Resolves an issue where search would sometimes not display results
- Fixes a bug that caused read messages to not be marked as read
- Fixes issues with group messaging
- Resolves issues with Wi-Fi performance that could occur when connected to some base stations
- Fixes an issue that could prevent connections to Bluetooth hands-free devices
- Fixes bugs that could cause screen rotation to stop working
- Adds an option to select between 2G, 3G or LTE networks for cellular data
- Fixes an issue in Safari where videos would sometimes not play
- Adds AirDrop support for Passbook passes
- Adds an option to enable Dictation in Settings for Keyboards, separate from Siri
- Enables HealthKit apps to access data in the background
- Accessibility improvements and fixes
- Fixes an issue that prevented Guided Access from working properly
- Fixes a bug where VoiceOver would not work with 3rd party keyboards
- Improves stability and audio quality when using MFi Hearing Aids with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Fixes an issue with VoiceOver where tone dialing would get stuck on a tone until dialing another number
- Improves reliability when using handwriting, Bluetooth keyboards and Braille displays with VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue that was preventing the use of OS X Caching Server for iOS updates
Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas.
Let us know if you install iOS 8.1 and whether it works great, or if you encounter any problems with the update that may require troubleshooting!