Download Civilization V for Mac for Free, No Strings Attached
Want to download Civilization V for Mac, entirely for free? For a limited time, you can get Civilization V: Campaign Edition for OS X entirely for free with basically no strings attached, thanks to a giveaway sponsored by game-maker Aspyr and MacRumors.
Never heard of the game? Well, Civilization is one of the greatest strategy game series of all time. You basically build an empire from an early prehistoric human settlement and carry forward into the modern era and far into the future, exploring a virtual globe while using diplomacy, war, and other strategies to build a civilization and conquer the world. It’s incredibly fun, very in-depth, and it’s just an absolutely brilliant game if you like strategy, building, and thinking.
OK, an awesome game for free, what’s the catch? There isn’t one… you just need an Apple ID and the Mac App Store (remember you can create an App Store account without a credit card if need be) it’s just a giveaway offered by Aspyr and MacRumors. You don’t have to enter an email address or anything, the entire free download is handled from the App Store in OS X. Sound good? It is, so here’s how to take advantage of it:
Download Civilization V Campaign Edition Free for Mac OS X, Yes Really
This giveaway is valid for a few days, but act soon if you want to be certain to get the game for free:
- Head on over to the MacRumors Giveaway page here
- Click on the big red “Get My Code” button
- Launch the App Store in OS X (from the Apple menu, choose ‘App Store’)
- From the ‘Featured’ tab, click on ‘Redeem’ (it’s on the right-side under Quick Links section)
- Enter the promo code and redeem, the download of Civilization V will start immediately
You can track the progress of the download under the “Purchases” tab of the App Store, it’s a tad over 5GB so it may take a while. Once it’s finished, have fun!
The game itself runs great on modern Macs, the system requirements are listed below if you want to be sure. Keep in mind that you can also redeem the App Store code and have it sit in your Apple account to download at a later date, so there’s no downside to claiming one of the codes even if you can’t run the game right now but plan on upgrading to a new Mac down the road.
Mac System Requirements for Civilization V
- Operating System: 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), 10.9.5 (Mavericks), 10.10.3 (Yosemite)
- CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
- CPU Speed: 2.2 GHz
- Memory: 4 GB
- Hard Disk Space: 8 GB
- Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 2600
- Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 8800
- Video Card (Intel): HD 4000
- Video Memory (VRam): 256 MB
- Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard
As you can see the system requirements are pretty light, so redeem your code, grab the game, and have fun!