Safari 13 Released for Mac
Safari 13 has been released for Mac users running MacOS Mojave and macOS High Sierra. Later, Safari 13 will also arrive along with MacOS Catalina when that operating system is released in October.
Safari 13 includes improvements to privacy, security, and compatibility, and is therefore recommended to install for all Mac users. Additionally, there are some new features in Safari 13 that may be useful, including quicker access to Picture in Picture mode, improved tab searching, and an updated start page. The full release notes for Safari 13 are included further below.
Updating to Safari 13
Mac users running the latest versions of macOS Mojave or macOS High Sierra can find Safari 13 available to download now from the Software Update section of System Preferences (Mojave), or the Updates section of the Mac App Store (High Sierra).
If you want to install Safari 13 but avoid installing some other software update(s), you may recall that it’s easy to selectively install specific software updates in macOS as covered here.
You will need to quit out of Safari if it’s currently running before it can be installed on a Mac.
Safari 13 Release Notes
Release notes accompanying the Safari 13 download on Mac are as follows:
The Safari 13 update contains feature improvements as well as privacy, security and compatibility enhancements and is recommended for all users. This update:
• Includes an updated start page with Favorites, frequently visited, and most recently visited websites
• Provides a warning if a weak password is typed when signing in to a website and helps to upgrade it to a strong password
• Adds the ability to enable Picture in Picture from the audio button in a tab
• Enables jumping directly to an already-open tab from the search completion list when the website address is typed into the Smart Search field
• Adds support for authentication using USB security keys on supported websites
For detailed information on the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222.
Complete developer release notes for Safari 13 can be found here on developer.apple.com for interested users.