How to Fix iOS 14 & iPadOS 14 Wi-Fi Problems

Sep 18, 2020 - 28 Comments

Fixing iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 Wi-Fi Problems

Some iPhone and iPad users have updated to iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 and discovered wi-fi issues that did not exist before the update, whether it’s that a wireless network suddenly doesn’t work, or the connection is dropping, abnormally slow, or some other wi-fi difficulty. Considering that nearly everything relies on the internet these days, having wi-fi problems and connectivity issues can be very annoying, so resolving wireless network difficulties is of the utmost important.

This article is going to walk through various steps to troubleshoot wi-fi problems that may be encountered with iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.

0: Install Available Updates to iOS / iPadOS

The first thing you should do is check for and install any available updates to iOS or iPadOS. For example, iOS 14.0.1 and iPadOS 14.0.1 was released and includes a fix for wi-fi issues, and that may resolve your problem.

Always check for available system software updates first, as they often include bug fixes which may resolve the problem you are experiencing. This is done by going to Settings > General > Software Update.

Don’t forget to backup your device before installing any software updates as well.

1: Reboot the Device

Sometimes a simple reboot of the iPhone or iPad will resolve connection issues.

You can either soft reboot or hard reboot. A soft reboot means turning the device off, then back on again. A hard reboot is forcing the device to restart, and the procedure for that varies per iPhone or iPad.

For newer iPhone and iPad models, like iPhone 11, XS, XR, X, 8, and iPad Pro, press Volume Up, Volume Down, then hold the side Power button until the device restarts with an  Apple logo.

For older iPhone and iPad models with clickable Home buttons, holding the Home button and Power button at the same time until you see the  Apple logo will force restart the device.

For iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, hold Volume down button and Power button until the device restarts.

2: Forget the Wi-Fi Network, Toggle AirPlane Mode, then Rejoin

1. Open the Settings app, then go to “Wi-Fi”
  2. Find the wi-fi network you’re connected to, then tap the “I” button next to the network name
  3. Tap on “Forget This Network”
  4. Exit out of Settings
  5. Turn on AirPlane Mode by pulling down Control Center and tapping the AirPlane icon (or by activating it from Settings), leave it on for a few seconds, then turn AirPlane mode back off again
  6. Return to the Settings app and go back to “Wi-Fi”
  7. Re-join the wireless network you were previously connected to

3: Reset Network Settings

A common resolution for networking issues is to reset the network settings on the device. The downside to this is that it loses saved wi-fi network passwords and other customizations to network settings, so be prepared to re-enter that info if needed:

1. Go to “Settings”, then to “General” and to “About”
  2. Go to “Reset”, then choose “Reset Network Settings”
  3. Confirm to reset network settings

4: Disable Private MAC Address

If the wi-fi problems are only happening on a specific network after updating to iOS 14 or iPadOS 14, you may also try disabling the Private Address feature, which randomizes MAC addresses when joining wi-fi networks.

1. Open the Settings app, then go to “Wi-Fi”
  2. Find the network you’re connected to, then tap the “I” button next to the network name
  3. Toggle the switch with Private Address to the OFF position

Did the above troubleshooting tricks resolve your wi-fi problems with iOS 14 or iPadOS 14? Did you find another solution? Share with us your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. Jen says:

I had this problem on my iPhone 7. The phone would not connect to cellular and the suggestions were to update to iOS 14.3 on both this website and Apple’s website. However, I needed cellular to download the new update, so I called Apple. It turns out my phone is recalled for having cellular issues and Apple is going to send me a new iPhone 7.

If anyone else with an iPhone 7 runs into this issue, call Apple and see if your phone is recalled and can be replaced.

Good luck everyone!

2. Mike says:

I don’t understand why I’m having to reset and ‘fix’. Don’t put an update out if it creates problems. Apple and big tech already own our soul, figuratively speaking. I didn’t know I was signing up for a dysfunctional ‘enmeshed’ relationship when I activated my iPhone.

3. Ara says:

my iPadOS 14.0.1 WiFi issue was due to BitDefender VPN. tugged it on and off solved the probem!

4. Sue Miltenberger says:

Looks like disabling private mac address is working for me and I can’t thank you enough.

5. Randi Markowitz says:

I have the exact same issues and I have done every single fix there is and still no internet connection. It’s just on the iPhone, everything else connects with no problem. Even when it connects to the router it’s for a split second (I am actually watching it disappear from the router on the backend).

All of this happened when they updated the iOS to 14. I have spent so much time trying to figure this out.

6. Ronald Lambertus says:

Awesome! IPhone 11 X-ray was perfect until IOS 14.0.0 and 14.0.1. WiFi was extremely slow and often could not connect to internet app. Option 2 is the solution for me. Thanks for posting solution.

7. Mike James says:

Seems like the hard reboot worked for me, but warn that on X if you also have emergency activated, you must act quickly to not call emergency services.

8. startingtopuff says:

Option 2 did it for me thank goodness. I was seriously thinking of downgrading so very pleased. Thank you.

• startingtopuff says:

Oh dear, spoke too soon. iPhone has reverted to its previous behaviour. Is it worth notifying Apple or do you think they are aware of the problem?

9. Robert Flores says:

I have tried all suggestions and still have the same issues. Not sure what to do!

10. Sal says:

Figured this out on my own after a lot of agraviation, this fixed my Internet connection issues.

11. Gill Bagnall says:

Thank god! Tried option 2 (having previously tried forgetting the network then rejoining and trying airplane mode – but not both together as in option 2) and it worked! Had been on the phone to my wifi provider for an hour previously with no luck. Had resigned myself to getting a newer iPhone but don’t need to now – Thankyou!

12. Christine says:

Yes! The solution to forget network, close settings, go into airplane mode for a minute, get out of airplane mode then add wifi back worked beautifully. Curious-why?

13. Aleeyah says:

how’d you do that ?

14. hashimi says:

its the first time in my life something acctually works

15. Marcie says:

I did every step in order and it improved my wifi but the last step to Disable Private MAC Address worked a treat! thanks so much

16. Stephen Farrar says:

Thanks very much! I too have the Norton VPN and the same symptoms of wi fi you described since updating to IOS 14. I have reset the entire IPad 11 and it will briefly connect to WiFi. When I run a speed test it will start off fast and then slow down. It does not maintain connectivity. So I’ll try deleting the Norton VPN app. Thanks!

17. kaz says:

Disabling Private MAC address fixed my problems.
    Thanks

18. Richard O says:

As soon as I updated my iPhone X Max with IOS 14 the phone would shuts down my Time Capsule Router every time I place or receive a telephone call with the X. After rebooting router it works fine until I make or receive another phone call. We only have wifi calling in our home. The other two additional iPhones operating with IOS 14 in the house don’t do this – only my X. I have spent six hours already on the phone with Apple trying everything from rebooting to bring it back to factory. Nothing works. My phone keeps on shutting down our wifi. Any help out there would be appreciated.

19. Siddique says:

After the update iOS14, im facing the issue of dropping the signals and no connection for 2 hours or 3 hours, even I did restart several times. anyone facing the same issue or I need to visit apple maintenance store.

20. Kf says:

Unable to connect to Lexmark laser jet printer after update on iPad 4th gen. had same issue with iphoneX but that is now resolved

21. Bill Paris says:

I have been running iOS 14 for two days now. I have discovered that when I send a Live Picture from iOS 14 to another person running iOS 14 the Live portion of the picture is disabled. The image comes in as just a .jpg with no Live Picture attributes. Possibly a bug? Has anyone experienced this? I am sending it through my iCloud photo album….not from Photostream which in fact DOES disable the video attributes.
    Looking forward to some info on this matter.

22. Rafael Jomenez says:

I had the same wi-fi issues with the iOS 14 download. After resetting the Network Settings, my iPhone worked fine for 1 or 2 minutes and then all internet connections were lost again. After reading some posts on my Microsoft computer I found out that the likely culprit was a Norton VPN setting that I had installed on my iPhone before the update. I tried to toggled the VPN button in Settings to the off position, but it immediately switched back to the on position on its own. After fighting with the VPN button for almost a minute, I had no other choice but to delete the Norton App from my iPhone. Once I did that, everything was back to normal. So if you have a Norton app with a VPN feature, delete it to take care of this annoying problem. I am pretty sure Norton 360 will find a way to work around this VPN issue pretty soon. When that happens, I will reinstall Norton security on my iPhone.

23. Kaylynne says:

The WiFi issues were going on with iPad Pro 11 since update prior to full release this week. They just got worse! iPhone 8 Plus began doing this too. I do iCloud backups, so I just opened Settings, went to Reset and then Full Erase, on both devices. A few minutes later, they reinstalled the iCloud backups and so far the iPhone is “fixed”. iPad is still doing the slow down. Trying Item 2 above, shortly. Great reading here!

24. Thomas Pauli says:

Dear editors,

I experienced these WiFi disconnects on my iPad pro 4th gen. after installing an IOS14 beta (cannot remember which exactly). Reboot worked for a while, but the disconnects reappeared. Finally I installed a WiFi repeater and with its stronger signal this nasty behavior ended completely.

Kind regards,