Disable browser window resizing in Firefox

Apr 11, 2007 - 8 Comments

Development etiquette has generally made web browsing a more pleasant experience over the years, removing such horrors as blinking text and the background midi. Unfortunately, there are a few annoyances still left on web sites, and one of the worst is the forced resizing of your web browser. Nothing peeves me more than having my browser window be resized to full screen without my permission, but if you’re a Firefox user, you can do something about it. Here is how to disable the resizing of your browser window in Firefox.

How to disable automatic browser resizing in Firefox

• In Firefox, navigate to the Firefox menu and down to “Preferences”
    • (in Windows, it will be under Tools->Options)
  • Navigate to the Content tab
  • Find “Enable Javascript” and hit the button next to it that says “Advanced”
  • Uncheck the topmost item, “Move or resize existing windows”

That’s all you have to do. Firefox will no longer allow web pages to resize your browser window. If anyone knows how to disable browser resizing in Safari or other web browsers, please post how in the comments.

Posted by: Bill Ellis in Firefox, How to, Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. anon says:

wow finally, thanks this is great

2. […] Specially on a Mac, I really hate when sites try to resize your browser – those full screen philanthropic sites. The good thing is OS x Daily has the right solution. Here is how to Disable Automatic Browser resize in Firefox. […]

3. Bob Dolezal says:

I have been having a problem with Firefox display on projectors. Even though the screen resolution is very high (e.g. 1280 X 854), the browser window for a 1024X768 page won’t fit the whole page on the projection screen. Is there any way to reduce the size of the browser window itself in Firefox?

4. kevin says:

i’m try to find this in firefox, thanks

5. wonkette says:

thank you thank you thank you… this was driving me crazy!

6. Vittorio says:

thank you very much!!!

7. Farrness says:

I am having trouble when I use firefox 3.6.6 on my MAX os x 10.6.3. I’m not sure how its happening but its resizing all content in a browser window. I cant actually use Firefox currently as my gmail is so tiny it cant be read. How can I scale it back to its normal size and then disable? Would be very very grateful as its a piece of functionality that is driving me mad :(

8. me says: