iTunes loading slowly? Here’s a simple fix to speed iTunes launch

May 5, 2010 - 12 Comments

itunes_logo From time to time iTunes can take a very long time to open. This simple fix seems to resolve the slow application launch:

* Launch iTunes
* Immediately hit and hold the “Option” key
* Select your iTunes Library, usually /Music/iTunes/
* Click OK

iTunes should now but be considerably faster when loading and quitting. The interesting thing is that you’re loading the same music library as before, so the speedup must be related to a more recent cache being available.

Posted by: Manish Patel in iTunes, Troubleshooting

1. Adam Shafer says:

Wow… this worked great for me! Went from taking probably 6-8 seconds to load iTunes to about 2. THANK YOU!

2. Fabio says:

For me worked just when I click and hold the Option key and clicked on iTunes icon. Great tip !!!

3. XCool says:

just like what Fabio says, holding the Option key while loading iTunes works 100% of the time instead of holding it ‘after’ the launch – you might miss the key and end up waiting for iTunes to launch with the default library..

also note that holding the Option key while launching or clicking any icons in the dock will cause the current application to hide – if you have a lot of windows open, the iTunes prompt might be hidden behind one of them..

great tip nevertheless! :)

4. bonobo says:

Shaved a good 5 seconds+ off my launch time, thanks! iTunes was getting really slow, must be some caching thing. Thanks again.

5. poppinfresh says:

wow that was awesome

6. […] Saw this on OSXDaily; […]

7. gbxdl says:

My entire computer got faster because of this tip!
    Thanks allot!

8. woody says:

Where is the “option” key? I’m using a DELL laptop (E4200) with Windows XP.

9. AntwanFisha says:

Thanks! I use a pc and I used “alt” instead of option when opening. It seemed to do the trick – it just asked for my itunes password again – beware – each time. But still if kicka$$ speed is what you’re looking for this should do it.

10. Blikkies says:

I love you!!! Worked like a charm. Lately my iTunes took more than 3 minutes to start up. And then clicking a song brought up the spinning rainbow wheel for another few minutes. I can now play music from closed itunes till pumping tunes in 3 seconds!!!