How to uninstall limera1n and install greenpois0n or vice versa
So you installed the limera1n jailbreak and now you want to use greenpois0n instead (or vice versa), what do you do? Using a tool called APTBackup, we can backup all your jailbroken apps, and then reinstall another jailbreak complete with all your previously installed jailbroken apps.
Yes, this process works to uninstall greenpois0n and install limera1n too. The procedure is the same on an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad.
Uninstall limera1n/greenpois0n and install greenpois0n/limera1n
This is a several stage process. You’ll backup your jailbroken apps, then uninstall the existing jailbreak, then re-jailbreak the iPhone, and finally restore the jailbroken app backups. Here are the steps to follow:
Step 1) Backup Jailbroken Apps
The first thing you’ll want to do is backup your installed jailbroken apps:
- Download “APTBackup” from Cydia
- Run the APTBackup app and tap “Backup” and then sync with iTunes to store the jailbreak backup list
Step 2) Uninstall the Jailbreak
Next you need to uninstall the jailbreak. We’ve covered how to undo a jailbreak before, but we’ll cover it again here in case you aren’t sure:
- Connect your iPhone to iTunes
- Click on the “Restore” button with iTunes
- Select “Yes” that you would like to restore your iPhone and backup your files
- Let the restore process go, your iPhone will reboot itself and your jailbreak will be gone
Step 3) Re-install a New Jailbreak
Now that you have a restored jailbreak-free iPhone, you can go ahead and use the other jailbreak you want to install.
- Choose the jailbreak you want to use: greenpois0n download or limera1n download
- Go through the jailbreak process as usual with either utility
- Jailbreaking is easy, follow the instructions or one of our guides: How to jailbreak with limera1n or how to jailbreak with Greenpois0n
- Once the iPhone is jailbroken, re-install the aforementioned APTBackup from Cydia
- Tap on “Restore” from within APTBackup to reinstall all the jailbroken apps you had installed before
That’s really all there is to it. APTBackup isn’t a true backup solution, it just makes a comprehensive list of all the apps you had installed previously and then that list can be referenced again through APTBackup to restore all your jailbroken apps, allowing Cydia to re-download all of them.
Limera1n vs Greenpois0n, why either?
Other than some people having trouble installing one or the other, I don’t see the difference. The end result is the same, you have a jailbroken device. Why pick one or the other? Personal choice I guess. I have no opinion on the greenpois0n vs limera1n debate, both jailbreaks work fine for me and I’m not really concerned with the iPhone hacker politics that have caused much of the debate between the two releases. Pick one and go with it, or if one doesn’t work for you, use the other. They’re both made by talented hackers and each deserves their own credit.
You can also completely unjailbreak the iPhone if you’d like, this is highly recommended if you intend on bringing your iPhone to Apple or AT&T for service. Jailbreaking is not illegal but it will generally void your warranty with Apple unless you undo it before service.