Switch iTunes Accounts Easily with a Menubar Utility

May 22, 2011 - 16 Comments

Switch iTunes Accounts easily with a menu bar utility

Many people juggle multiple iTunes accounts for a variety of reasons, be it to access international app stores and their different content offerings, having another iTunes account without a credit card for their kids, or because you’re dodging country and timezone restrictions. We all know it’s a pain to manually log in and out of each account, which is why the iTunes Account Switcher menubar utility is so helpful.

iTunes Account Switcher is a free tool that sits in your menubar, organizes multiple iTunes logins by country, lets you add or create new accounts from within the app, and, most importantly, switch between your iTunes account simply just by selecting the new account from the menu.

You can get iTunes Account Switcher for free (direct download link)

Updated download links: Mirror 1 – SoftpediaMirror 2 – MacPoint

This app is really helpful and addresses one of the core usability problems of iTunes; the inability to use multiple accounts without a hassle. There haven’t been many solutions to this until recently, when an Applescript showed up on that automated the account switching process, but a menubar item is even better.

This app comes courtesy of cocoa developer Joris Vervuurt, and thanks to MacStories for finding this app and the screenshot.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iTunes, Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Carlos says:

This is great! It makes me crazy that each country App Store is different, why not have each be the same? It would prevent most from switching accounts.

2. Trench says:

Crowded menubar is crowded.

3. Brian says:

Thanks! Works Great! Trying to weed out some IOS apps from an old iTunes account and get them again under my current account and this makes it a lot easier to switch back forth with the accounts. Good instructions with the installer to for putting the script in.

4. Mark says:

Could you tell me what all the icons in your menubar are for?
    I’m always interested in discovering new apps…
    Thanks!

5. Kyle says:

Yea.. I would love to know what the icons in your menubar are used for as well!

Thanks

6. chaunced says:

menu bar items look like: itunes switcher, unknown, air display, dropbox, byword, evernote, unknown, fantastical, sync app, cloudapp, cpu monitor, clipboard manager, spring cleaner. there’s a few I don’t identify, but that is what it looks like to me.

7. macfoxpro says:

Can I use my iPad 2 on one account and my iPhone 4 on the other? I have my iPhone jailbroke and do not want to loose it. I want to connect my iPad 2 (that I will be receiving in the next day or so) on an account from the same Mac but it is not jailbroken. Will this work? If not, what would be my solution?

8. Adam says:

Is my username and password stored locally? or does iTunes account switcher store my details in their cloud? I don’t want them to have access to my account/credit card details…

• Paul says:

This is a good question and I don’t know the answer for sure, but I would assume it is stored locally as I have not seen any communication from the app to any server other than Apple’s.

9. sm says:

Now all we need is a way to sync 2 different ios devices to the same library using different sets of apps and media for each device.

10. tokyojerry says:

Link to direct download does not work (for me at least).

Not Found

The requested URL /files/iTunesAccountSwitcher_1.1.zip was not found on this server.

11. […] in the USA. If you’re going to follow this solution and juggle multiple iTunes accounts, this menubar utility makes switching between them easy and is highly […]