How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 and Preserve Unlocked Baseband for iPhone 4 & 3GS

Dec 31, 2011 - 27 Comments

PwnageTool

If you’ve maintained old iPhone baseband in order to utilize carrier unlocks, you’ll be pleased to know that you can now upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 and jailbreak untethered the iPhone while preserving the unlockable baseband. The procedure is done by using the newest version of PwnageTool 5.0.1, and if you’re familiar with past versions of pwnage then you should be right at home, but nonetheless we will walk through the entire process.

Note: Only need a jailbreak? If you don’t need a carrier unlock, use this guide to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 untethered with redsn0w, it’s faster and doesn’t include the baseband preservation.

Before proceeding, make sure you meet the following requirements:

• iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS with preserved and unlockable baseband: 01.59.00, 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.13.04, 06.15.00
  • iOS 5.0.1 IPSW – optional, depending on if you already have it stored locally or not
  • iTunes 10.5.2
  • PwnageTool 5.0.1 – download now

Assuming you meet all those requirements and you understand the risks, continue on. Read carefully or else you can accidentally update your baseband and lose your unlock.

Jailbreak iPhone with iOS 5.0.1 while Preserving Baseband Unlock

• Launch PwnageTool 5.0.1 and select your iPhone model, then click the next arrow
  • Let PwnageTool search for firmware (or you can download iOS 5.0.1 firmware manually), select it and click the Next arrow again
  • Click “Yes” when asked if you want to save the custom IPSW file to the desktop, and click yes/no depending on your activation
  • Let PwnageTool build the custom IPSW, enter the administrator password when asked
  • Now connect the iPhone to the computer and place it into DFU mode: Hold power button for 3 seconds, continue holding Power button and also hold the Home button for 10 seconds, release Power button but continue to hold Home button for another 15 seconds
  • When DFU is confirmed, quit out of PwnageTool and launch iTunes
  • Hold the Option key and click on “Restore” and select the custom firmware created by PwnageTool, located on the desktop
  • iTunes will now restore the iPhone to the custom iOS 5.0.1 build, simultaneously jailbreaking the phone and also preserving the unlockable baseband
  • After the device has been jailbroken and booted up, launch Cydia and download Ultrasn0w 1.2.5 to unlock the iPhone

The unlocked iPhone should now be good to use on another carrier. If you have trouble activating, use the original activated SIM card briefly to pass through activation, or run the newest version of redsn0w on top.

Posted by: Matt Chan in iPhone

1. Brother Cadfael says:

Is there any way to jailbreak and unlock a 3GS with baseband 05.16.005? It iOS 5.0.1 and old bootrom.

Thanks!

2. Thor says:

What a lame approach to life. So instead of creating things for yourself like the Linux crowd does, which you are unable apparently to do, you “jailbreak” your iPads and phones so that you can do what, tether or something? Meanwhile whatever hacker devised the jailbreak has given himself backdoors to steal your private information like they do at Best Buy. This practice of jailbreaking just screams ignorance, stupidity and lameness, it advertises these in fact.

• applefoxycon says:

Talk to apple about this one. And please do research before your start saying things to demotivate apple’s customer base .. It surely does not effect you in any way .. (unless your a developer) ..

Im sorry to know that some* people just hate this so much.
      Cheers.

3. Jack D says:

So the picture shows iPhone 3G – does this mean we can jailbreak iPhone 3G?

Thanks

4. David J says:

If my Baseband is 04.11.08, it matters if i install it with this?

5. olmo47 says:

I am trying to jail break AppleTV v. 4.4.4 (3330)

Will this application help PwnageTool 5.0.1?

6. Parama says:

Hi ….

I’m stuck on baseband 4.11.08 :(

Will this work for it also?

Anyidea for my ios devices?

7. Gilbert says:

Once I update my phone to this new untethered 5.0.1 will I lost all my contacts because its a jailbreak?

8. jessie says:

when I downloaded PwnageTool 5.0.1 I could not launch it. “The archive is either in unknown format or damaged”

9. applefoxycon says:

Well .. Personally .. As a member of all jailbreakers world wide .. I just wish there was an easier way to unlock your $300 to $1000 iPhone .. but unfortunately all of us “thiefs” have no other options than to deal with (baseband issues, cydia issues, repo issues, legal issues & donations! Not to mention the constant scrutiny from people who have enough money to just go out and buy new unlocked phones)

well .. fortunately for the developers of all of those “cracked” apps and so fourth, will be happy to know. I do not use a single app on my phone (jailbroken) unless its free or CYDIA tweak only ..

It does not “advertise stupidity” It simply states that you are going to have to learn something about the computer your using!

Sorry for the rant, good luck with all of your iOS 5.0.1 installs :)

10. karthik gr says:

i have a iphone 4 ios 5.0.1 locked mobile. can i use this method to unlock my mobile. is it possible?

11. rivmd says:

Does it works for baseband 4.10.01?

12. illuxion18 says:

Please reply if we can also update with a baseband v4.10.01. Thanks :)

13. Swizard210 says:

I currently have a Jailbroken and Gevey SIM unlocked iPhone 4 (4.3.3, 04.10.01).

If I update to iOS 5 using RedSn0w or Sn0wbreeze and preserving my baseband (04.10.01), will I lose all the data/settings on my iPhone 4?

Hope you guys can help! Thanks!

14. rain says:

Good job guys. It worked.

But I encountered a problem of loosing all my important photos and files thing iTunes will do an automatic backup.

Please can anybody help me out here!!!!

15. rain says:

even trying to restore from old backup, iTunes say back up is corrupted

16. rain says:

when u say run the newest version of redsnow on top to activate it. Please explain how to run it on top!!!!!?????

17. Ariel.am18 says:

i will be using itunes version 10.5.3 does this have any affect on the process?

18. Rommel Bullen says:

Ey guys…my iphone 4 is unlocked last feb 2012…it just so happen when i restored my ios, an option popped up (fresh install or restore from backup) so i did chose restore, den my iphone is unlocked but d baseband is still 4.11.08…..i dnt know how was that possible, but i got my iphone 4 ios 5.0.1 Unlocked….i think d dev team should work on this…using d restore from backup option be available in itunes when u right click ur device, bcoz i think, no restore in back would show…my itunes is 10.5.3.3..d latest…tnx