How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 and Preserve Unlocked Baseband for iPhone 4 & 3GS
If you’ve maintained old iPhone baseband in order to utilize carrier unlocks, you’ll be pleased to know that you can now upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 and jailbreak untethered the iPhone while preserving the unlockable baseband. The procedure is done by using the newest version of PwnageTool 5.0.1, and if you’re familiar with past versions of pwnage then you should be right at home, but nonetheless we will walk through the entire process.
Note: Only need a jailbreak? If you don’t need a carrier unlock, use this guide to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 untethered with redsn0w, it’s faster and doesn’t include the baseband preservation.
Before proceeding, make sure you meet the following requirements:
- iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS with preserved and unlockable baseband: 01.59.00, 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.13.04, 06.15.00
- iOS 5.0.1 IPSW – optional, depending on if you already have it stored locally or not
- iTunes 10.5.2
- PwnageTool 5.0.1 – download now
Assuming you meet all those requirements and you understand the risks, continue on. Read carefully or else you can accidentally update your baseband and lose your unlock.
Jailbreak iPhone with iOS 5.0.1 while Preserving Baseband Unlock
- Launch PwnageTool 5.0.1 and select your iPhone model, then click the next arrow
- Let PwnageTool search for firmware (or you can download iOS 5.0.1 firmware manually), select it and click the Next arrow again
- Click “Yes” when asked if you want to save the custom IPSW file to the desktop, and click yes/no depending on your activation
- Let PwnageTool build the custom IPSW, enter the administrator password when asked
- Now connect the iPhone to the computer and place it into DFU mode: Hold power button for 3 seconds, continue holding Power button and also hold the Home button for 10 seconds, release Power button but continue to hold Home button for another 15 seconds
- When DFU is confirmed, quit out of PwnageTool and launch iTunes
- Hold the Option key and click on “Restore” and select the custom firmware created by PwnageTool, located on the desktop
- iTunes will now restore the iPhone to the custom iOS 5.0.1 build, simultaneously jailbreaking the phone and also preserving the unlockable baseband
- After the device has been jailbroken and booted up, launch Cydia and download Ultrasn0w 1.2.5 to unlock the iPhone
The unlocked iPhone should now be good to use on another carrier. If you have trouble activating, use the original activated SIM card briefly to pass through activation, or run the newest version of redsn0w on top.