iPhone & Mac Apps Crashing on Launch? Delete & Re-Download Them

Jul 5, 2012 - 8 Comments

Resolve crashing apps by deleting and re-downloading them

If you updated or downloaded an app from the iOS or Mac App Stores recently and it crashes immediately on launch, you should delete the app and re-download it from the App Store to resolve the problem.

To delete an app iOS, just tap and hold on the icon until the “X” appears, clicking that to delete it. Similarly in OS X, from Launchpad you can click-and-hold on an icon and select the same “X” to delete the app. Reinstalling is just a matter of finding the app again on the appropriate App Store, assuming you already own the app you will not be charged to re-download it.

Apple notified AllThingsD that they “had a temporary issue that began yesterday with a server that generated DRM code for some apps being downloaded“, but the problem is now resolved assuming the user reinstalls the apps in question.

Posted by: Matt Chan in iPad, iPhone, Mac OS X, News, Troubleshooting

1. Bernie says:

Good grief. This effected nobody, the tech press focuses on rubbish on slow news days.

2. Rob says:

Well, it did affect more than one users
    Yesterday updated Fractal Design via App Store umteen times and it refused to execute. Developer mailed me this morning to confirm this osxdaily article.
    Apple’s DRM management really ticks me off in general. Grr.
    Bad showing.

3. vdiv says:

Good grief! A DoS attack from Apple. Developers are upset because users with the issue have rated their apps lower.

4. Peter says:

I have this problem whit my iPad its the same thing there?

5. Connie says:

My MUSIC icon has been closing immediately upon launch for the last few days on my iPad 2. It’s working fine still on my iPod touch. I’ve been thru the manual, and see nowhere what to do, when one of apple’s preinstalled items crashes. Also can’t get the iBook store to open, although the books I’ve dl’d are ok. I don’t have my PC with me (we were part of the massive east coast power outages last week). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’ve tried closing all other apps, powering off the iPad, and letting the battery totally run down before charging it.

6. Phil says:

I have tried to delete then reinstall apps that crash on launch. They will work the first time but when I close them and try to open them again the crash on launch again. I love iPad and iPods from Apple but their customer support and service sucks big time.