How to Block iMessage Senders in Messages for Mac
The Messages app is the native instant messaging client for OS X which supports everything from iMessage, Facebook chat, to AIM. Though users have long been able to block senders from AIM and Facebook, the iMessage protocol was notably void of a block feature on the Mac until the OS X 10.9.2 update. Now changed, you can block specific contacts from sending your Mac any iMessages too, though you’d be forgiven for missing the addition of the feature or for simply overlooking it when scouring around in the Messages app preferences.
Blocking iMessage Senders from Messaging You in OS X
This will block all iMessages from the recipient from arriving to the Mac Messages client:
- From the Messages app in OS X, pull down the “Messages” window and visit “Preferences”
- Go to the “Accounts” tab and select the iMessage account from the left side menu
- Choose the “Blocked” tab
- Click the [+] plus button to navigate through the Contacts book to select a sender(s) to block
If the person you want to block is not contained in your Contacts, add their email address and/or phone number manually to the list.
A blocked user receives no notification or receipt that they are blocked, so feel free to block that certain someone or annoying so-and-so who won’t stop pelting your Mac with iMessages.
Though it’s a fairly minor change, the ability to block iMessage senders directly in OS X is a very welcome feature. Prior to this, specific iMessage senders could have been blocked from the iOS side of things from an iPhone or iPad, but their messages would awkwardly continue to arrive through the Mac client.
By the way, if you’re trying to block people just to get some temporary peace and quiet and not to truly block them, you might be better off scheduling the Do Not Disturb feature on your Mac to prevent hassling messages and notifications in general. It’s one of the better ways to focus during your most productive hours, and is highly recommended for OS X users who are easily distracted to implement.
Unblocking iMessage Senders in OS X
Decided you want to get all those iMessages from Crazy Cousin Carla again? The process of unblocking is almost the same as blocking:
- Head back to the Messages app “Preferences”, then back to the ‘Accounts’ tab
- Choose your iMessage account from the left side menu
- Now select the “Blocked” tab
- Select the user(s) to unblock from the list, then hit the Delete key or press the [-] minus button to remove them and receive their iMessages again
Similar to blocking, there is no notification to the unblocked user that their sender status has changed.