iOS 7.1 Update Released [IPSW Download Links]
Apple has released iOS 7.1 for all compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices, the first major system software update to iOS 7 since the launch last year. The update includes many bug fixes, feature enhancements, speed improvements, as well as a variety of updated user interface elements. Updating to iOS 7.1 is recommended for all users who are currently running any prior version of iOS 7 on their devices.
iOS 7.1 also includes some new features, with CarPlay support, an event overview for Month display in Calendar app, country specific holidays, improvements to Siri, additions to Accessibility including button shapes and further reduced motion effects, and much more. Full release notes are included at the bottom of this article for those interested in specific details.
Update to iOS 7.1 with OTA
The easiest way for most users to update to iOS 7.1 is through the Over-The-Air update mechanism:
- Open “Settings” and head to “Software Update”
- Choose “Download & Install”
Always back up your iOS device before beginning a system software update.
Troubleshooting iOS 7.1 Update
Unable to install because not enough storage? Some users may see a “This update cannot be installed because it requires at least 1.9GB of storage. You can make more storage available by deleting items in Usage Settings.” error message on their iPhone or iPad when attempting to install the update. The simplest way to resolve that is to delete enough apps or data to install the update, though that’s not always an option. A secondary choice would be to install the update through iTunes using a computer, as described below.
Downloading & Updating to iOS 7.1 through iTunes
iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users can also update to iOS 7.1 using iTunes. This will also allow them to get around the capacity error mentioned above.
- Connect the iOS device to a computer with USB
- Launch iTunes and choose “Download & Install” when a notification about the iOS 7.1 update appears
Again, always back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch before installing system software updates.
iOS 7.1 IPSW Download Links
Advanced users who are comfortable using IPSW firmware files can also update manually with iTunes. The files below are hosted on Apple’s servers, right-click and choose “Save As” for best results:
- iPhone 5s (CDMA)
- iPhone 5s (GSM)
- iPhone 5 (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (GSM)
- iPhone 5c (CDMA)
- iPhone 5c (GSM)
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 4 (GSM 3,2)
- iPhone 4 (GSM 3,1)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
- iPad Air (5th Gen Wi-Fi + Cellular)
- iPad Air (5th Gen Wi-Fi)
- iPad (4th Gen CDMA)
- iPad (4th Gen GSM)
- iPad (4th Gen Wi-Fi)
- iPad mini (CDMA)
- iPad mini (GSM)
- iPad mini (Wi-Fi)
- iPad mini 2 (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
- iPad mini 2 (Wi-Fi)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi (3rd Gen)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (GSM)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (CDMA)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (2,4)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (2,1)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
- iPod touch (5th Gen)
The iOS 7.1 update patches the iOS 7 jailbreak, thus users who prefer to keep their devices jailbroken using the evasi0n tool should avoid updating to 7.1.
iOS 7.1 Release Notes
An overview of the release notes for iOS 7.1 per iTunes:
- iOS experience designed for the car
- Simply connect your iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle
- Supports Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, and 3rd-party audio apps
- Control with Siri and the car’s touchscreen, knobs, and buttons
- Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the home button while you speak and releasing it when you’re done as an alternative to letting Siri automatically notice when you stop talking
- New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Mandarin Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese
- Search field above Featured Stations to easily create stations based on your favorite artist or song
- Buy albums with the tap of a button from Now Playing
- Subscribe to iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to enjoy iTunes Radio ad-free
- Option to display events in month view
- Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries
- Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs
- Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations
- New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point
- New Camera setting to automatically enable HDR for iPhone 5s
- iCloud Keychain support in additional countries
- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device
- Fixes a bug that could occasionally cause a home screen crash
- Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition
- Improved performance for iPhone 4
- Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000
- Continued user interface refinements
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
Full release notes from Apple will be available soon.
An update to Apple TV is also available.