iOS 7.1.2 Update Released [IPSW Download Links]

Jun 30, 2014 - 10 Comments

iOS 7.1.2 iOS 7.1.2 has been released by Apple, available for all iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices that are compatible with iOS 7. The update includes multiple bug fixes and security updates, and is recommended for all users to install. Additionally, an update to Apple TV versioned as 6.2 is available.

The official release notes accompanying the download are quite short, listed below:
“• Improves iBeacon connectivity and stability
• Fixes a bug with data transfer for some 3rd party accessories, including bar code scanners
• Corrects an issue with data protection class of Mail attachments”

There are multiple ways to update and install iOS 7.1.2, OTA is usually the easiest, but users can also choose to update through iTunes automatically or with IPSW files.

Update to iOS 7.1.2 with OTA or iTunes

The easiest way for most users to download and update to iOS 7.1.2 is through OTA (Over-The-Air) Update, this is done directly on the iPhone or iPad:

1. Go to the “Settings” app and then to “General”
  2. Choose “Software Update” and select “Download & Install”

The OTA update is quite small and weighs in around 25MB, but nonetheless requires 1GB of available storage capacity to install.

Download iOS 7.1.2 Update with OTA

Users can also choose to install the iOS 7.1.2 update through iTunes by tethering their iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a computer with a USB cable. iTunes will automatically detect the software update is available and request to install. This will circumvent the storage capacity limit if the device is full, which can be quite helpful or many users.

Always back up the device to iTunes and/or iCloud before installing a system software update, it’s usually that something will go wrong but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Apple TV users can update to 6.2 through iTunes or on device through Settings > Software Update.

iOS 7.1.2 IPSW Download Links

For users who prefer to update their iOS devices using IPSW firmware files, the following IPSW links can be used to pull the firmware directly from Apple servers. For best results, right-click and choose to “Save As”

Installing iOS updates with IPSW files is fairly easy but considered somewhat advanced, most users are better served using the OTA update mechanism directly on their iPhone or iPad hardware.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, News

1. Robert says:

Hi,

I had a question. How do you guys know when the updates have been released. This update just came out less than an hour ago.

Thanks,
    Robert

• Paul says:

Great question! The updates come in from iTunes and Software Update, sometimes we see them as they come in, sometimes readers send in a tip, and sometimes we’ll see them mentioned on Twitter as users discover an update is made available.

Another great trick is to query Apple servers for additions to the available ISPW list, I touched on this briefly here in a more rudimentary fashion by using curl: http://osxdaily.com/2013/11/15/get-list-all-ipsw-files-from-apple/ it’s a bit on the geeky side but this can be setup as a simple bash script if you’re looking for immediate updates when they become available from Apple.

2. DG says:

How d’you know which model you are? iPhone 4 GSM 3,1 or 3,2 for example?

3. Why do you guys always link to the wrong iPad 3 files? I have a limited bandwidth and I have to download 1.3GB all over again.
    iPad 3 GSM is iPad 3,3 not 3,2. You’r GSM link points to 3,2 vesion which is incorrect. It’s the 3rd time this happens.

4. Forrest says:

This update negatively affected network/wifi connectivity on my iPhone 5S — having read other similar complaints, I’m doing to downgrade back to 7.1.1 and wait, patiently for Apple to supply more fixes.

5. Alie says:

hey, I was wondering how you can get camera effects for the ios 7.1.2 update. I never got the camera effects when I updated my phone to the ios 7 update. and all my friends are talking about. and I want/need it now. 👌

Thanks Alie

6. Michael says:

Hi,Can i use this to downgrade from iOS 8 beta without losing all my data?

Thanks

7. Ralph says:

I have an iPod touch. Bought in 2011. I do not remember what generation it is. How ever it has been inactive since 2012 when I received an iPhone. I decided to reactivate it and discovered I do not have software update under settings, general and then software update. How do I update my iPod device?

Ralph