Assign Apps to Desktops in Mission Control

Aug 11, 2011 - 10 Comments

Assign Apps to Spaces in  Mission Control

If you use multiple Desktops (aka Spaces aka Virtual Desktops) in OS X Lion’s Mission Control, you can set apps to specific Desktops, all Desktops, or no specific Desktop at all.

• Right-click on the apps icon in the Dock
  • Navigate to Options, and then from the “Assign To” sub-menu select one of the three choices:
    • All Desktops – the app will appear on all Desktops, without causing a switch
    • This Desktop – Desktop-specific, this will cause Desktops to switch when the app is selected
    • None – the default setting

The main difference with the choices is how apps interact within Mission Control, and whether or not they will automatically cause a Desktop switch based on their selection or not.

Check out more Mac OS X 10.7 tips while you’re at it.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS, Tips & Tricks

1. oliver says:

seems to work just fine for me with all other apps EXCEPT entourage which is the one i need it to work with. any suggestions?

2. Gert says:

Right-clicking an App in the Dock, choosing Option and setting a desktop (space) doesn’t seem to work for me.
    No idea what’s happening. When I start up an app from the dock, it looks like it’s going to the right desktop and than reverts back to the desktop you started from. Any ideas?

3. […] you assigned apps to Desktops than clicking on the app will also use the faster method similar to the Control+Number keyboard […]

4. […] OS X Daily Tags: Lion, 中给特定的应用程序分配特定桌面或所有桌面, 每日技巧 […]

5. Gary says:

Unfortunately I can’t find those options on my right click… am I missing something obvious?

6. Chet says:

But can you assign desktops to different monitors, and make sure that a desktop always goes to that monitor, even if you unplug it and reattach it later? That would be awesome.

7. Sadly that’s not near good enough. I want my old Spaces back :(

8. derekaw says:

Where do I get that desktop pic please?