Fix File Sharing Not Working in MacOS Ventura

Jan 18, 2023 - 9 Comments

Problem connecting to server file sharing errors MacOS Ventura

Some MacOS Ventura users have found that file sharing between a Mac running macOS Ventura does not work reliably between Ventura and another Mac, iPhone, iPad, Windows PC, and even some NAS drives like Synology. For many users, file sharing setups that worked fine for years prior to updating to macOS Ventura are now no longer working at all or behaving in an inconsistent manner.

If you’re experiencing problems with file sharing not working in macOS Ventura, there is a fix to resolve the issue. This solution applies to SMB file sharing with MacOS Ventura and devices connecting to or from the Mac, whether you’re experiencing connectivity failures, time outs, server unavailable, server may not exist, or other similar error messages.

Fix for SMB File Sharing Not Working in MacOS Ventura

1. Open the “System Settings” app on Mac from the  Apple menu
  2. Go to “General” and then to “Sharing”
  3. Find the switch for ‘File Sharing’ and toggle it OFF
  4. Restart the Mac by going to the  Apple menu and choosing Restart
  5. Upon reboot, return to the Sharing system settings panel and turn “File Sharing” back to the ON position
  6. Toggle file sharing on and off in MacOS Ventura

7. Resume file sharing as usual, it should work as expected

You may need to repeat this process after a few days, or at random, if file sharing suddenly stops working again between the MacOS Ventura Mac and another Mac or device.

Why you need to disable file sharing, reboot, then re-enable file sharing, is a bit of a mystery. Simply toggling file sharing off and on does not do the trick.

Presumably this a bug with macOS Ventura that will hopefully get fixed in a future software update, though the issue remains in current versions. MacOS Ventura has been mostly well received by most, but some users have experienced performance issues, wi-fi trouble, and other miscellaneous troubles with Finder, and a general dislike of the new System Settings app.

Thanks to MJTSai for finding the solution to this frustrating issue.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS, Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. The recommendations didn’t work for me, I’m afraid.

I solved it another way, although it is not very efficient. I went to the folder in my laptop where I wanted to move a file to, and selected Get Info from the top nav while the folder was open.

In the window that appears, toward the bottom, there is a Sharing and Permissions section. Although I had set up the other computer to have sharing permission across the board on this laptop, the other computer was not listed here for this folder. I added it, giving it read/write permissions.

I then attempted again to save the file to that folder in my laptop, and it worked.

That’s the good news. The bad news is I may have to do this for every folder on the laptop.

Kicking myself for installing an update; I usually wait much longer with my Macs.

2. Craig Dokken says:

Wish I had read this article last night!
    I WASTED 4 hours troubleshooting!!
    Everything is working fine, NOW.
    Thank you!

3. Dave Taylor says:

I’ve got a related problem: On my MacBook Pro I can’t even get to the “Sharing” area in System Settings. I go to General and see it, but clicking on it won’t move me to that area, even though every other option on that screen works fine. Frustrating!

• The recommendations didn’t work for me, I’m afraid.

4. BCBOCK says:

I’ve been talking to Apple after Ventura 13.2 borked my network sharing. No luck. They’re having me delete all my sharing and delete VPN software, and use a new user. None of it works. I asked them if 13.2 operated on file sharing and SMB. It does. But they INSIST this isn’t Apple’s fault. It’s up to third parties to make their software compatible. But it’s their software that was just updated and broke everything. Very frustrating.

5. Leonardo says:

It’s not working for me. This is so frustrating, I don’t know where to look for help.

6. Maria Romana says:

Another feature sadly no longer available is the ability to share a file I have been working on in pages or numbers via email as word or excel.
    Right now the only solution is to create a separate word or excel file and then attach it to an email prior to sending. It entails twice as much work and it duplicates files with consequent waste of space.

7. Clive W says:

I too discovered this workaround by chance soon after updating to Ventura. Unfortunately it has to be repeated quite frequently these days. I vainly hoped it would be fixed in 16.1 but am now hoping for a fix in 16.2! For me, it has only affected my M1 MacBook Pro, my two Intel Macs are unaffected. Another “feature” of Ventura file sharing is that the option to connect with an Apple ID has vanished, the only options now are Guest or Registered User. Whether this too is a bug or a deliberate decision, and the reason why if it is, only Apple knows.

• Dawn says:

Thank you for this! I thought I was going crazy or that something had gone wrong with my particular setup. At least I know it’s not just me!

I’m also finding that I have to click on Network in the sidebar of the Finder window to find my MPB from my iMac, and vice versa, where as these same-network devices used to show in the sidebar by default. Anyone else experiencing this?