Activate Unlocked iPhone 3GS and 3G to Fix Ultrasn0w Battery Drain Issue
You can use a new tool to activate your unlocked iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G, which in turn resolves the battery drain issue that has occurred on some iPhones unlocked with ultrasn0w. You’ll need redsn0w 0.9.6 beta 6 which was released specifically for this purpose, this allows you to ‘hacktivate’ your iPhone 3GS/3G by installing a new Cydia tool called SAM.
Activate iPhone 3GS & 3G to Fix Battery Drain
You should be familiar with redsn0w jailbreaks and Cydia, the goal is to jailbreak and unlock iOS 4.2.1 on the iPhone 3GS & 3G and then install the SAM tool which enables you to activate the iPhone and relieve the battery drain problem.
- Launch Cydia and add the following source: http://repo.bingner.com
- Search for and install SAM and SAMPrefs to your iPhone from that repository
- Now download redsn0w 0.9.6b6 for Mac or Windows
- Launch redsn0w and proceed as usual, but be sure and click the checkbox next to “Deactivate”, this allows the newly installed SAM to function
- After SAM installation and using redsn0w with deactivate, tap on “Settings” and then SAM, and then tap to “De-activate iPhone”
- Now launch iTunes and let it activate your iPhone
- If iTunes tells you “Invalid SIM” when you try to activate, you just need to manually select your carrier
The reason the battery was draining with ultrasn0w prior to this SAM tool is because the iPhone was constantly sending out activation attempts, thanks to SAM this no longer happens and you will get a large boost in battery life, plus you can re-enable push notifications (which some people disabled as a temporary solution to the problem).