Tweet from anywhere in Mac OS X with Twitter for Mac

Jan 14, 2011 - 7 Comments

tweet from finder mac

The Twitter for Mac client has a great feature that lets you send tweets from just about anywhere in Mac OS X, including the Finder. I’ve tested this out in the Mac OS X Finder, iTunes, Chrome, Safari, iChat, TextEdit, Terminal, and can confirm that this works all over the place.

To access the ‘Tweet’ from anywhere function:

• Highlight some text in Mac OS X
  • Right-click on the highlighted text
  • Select “Tweet” from the pop-up menu

This will automatically send the highlighted text to the Twitter app in Mac OS X.

tweet from mac os x

I saw the headline on MacStories and low and behold, it works as advertised.

Twitter for Mac is a free download on the App Store (direct link), it’s arguably the best Twitter client for Mac and well worth installing.

Posted by: William Pearson in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Canuck says:

I found this a few days ago, unfortunately it does not create links from the web or app store. That combined with most things you’d want to copy/paste being over 140 characters limits its usability, but it’s a good start.

2. Jim says:

It should be noted that in some apps you will find the “Tweet” menu item under the “Services” sub-menu (Google Chrome is one)

3. Joaquim says:

Correction: “lo and behold”

4. Derekaw says:

This is cool, I will be tweeting about this now.

5. [...] wasn’t originally sold on the app, but after using it and discovering the cool features like sending a tweet from anywhere in Mac OS X, I’m now a regular [...]

6. frin says:

Thank you for reporting this. I find it annoying that apps do things like that behind my back without asking me first.

Who knows what more garbage the app has put into my system.

7. Zig says:

In iTunes its on the “Services” Menu and it will Tweet the selected song. So Cool :)