How to Setup & Use iTunes Home Sharing
iTunes Home Sharing is a great feature that lets you share your iTunes 10.2.1 library wirelessly with anyone on your local network. This means you can share any Mac or PC’s media library with any iOS 4.3 compatible iPhone, iPod, iPad, or Apple TV, in addition to any other Macs and PC on your network.
We’ll walk you through setting up iTunes home sharing, and then how to access these shared libraries from any compatible iOS hardware, in addition to other Mac’s and PC’s.
Enable iTunes Home Sharing
First, you will need to enable Home Sharing on each Mac or PC who’s media library you want to share, here’s how:
- Launch iTunes
- Click on the “Advanced” menu and then select “Turn On Home Sharing”
- You’ll see a Home Sharing login screen, enter your Apple ID and password to identify your Home Shares
- With your Apple ID entered, click on “Create Home Share”
That machines iTunes library is now setup to be shared, so let’s access this library from an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad…
Access iTunes Home Sharing from an iOS Device
You’ll need to have iOS 4.3 or later installed, you can upgrade through iTunes but if you have a newer device than you probably are on a new enough iOS version. Once you have it updated, grab your iOS device and…
- Tap on “Settings”
- Tap on “iPod”
- Scroll down to “Home Sharing” and enter the same AppleID credentials you used to setup Home Sharing on your Mac/PC with iTunes
- Exit “Settings” and tap on iPod
- Tap on the “More” tab
- Tap on “Shared” at the bottom of the list
- Select the computer name of the shared library you want to access
- You’ll now be in the familiar iPod app, except that you’ll have full access to the iTunes Home Share of the computer you selected, this includes music, playlists, and video
You now have full access to your computers iTunes media library and playlists directly from your iPhone or iPad. All media will be streamed wirelessly to the iOS hardware, no files are copied or synced.
Access iTunes Home Sharing from another Mac or Windows PC
With Home Sharing you can also access any local iTunes media library from any other local Mac or PC.
- Follow the instructions above to enable Home Sharing on the local machine, enter the same Apple ID
- Look in the iTunes sidebar under “Sharing” and click on the shared library name you want to access
Sharing has been around in iTunes for a while now but iTunes Home Sharing has really refined this feature, especially since you can access the media from now any Mac, PC, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, or Apple TV.
This is a great feature of iOS, have fun with it!