Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 with Redsn0w 0.9.6rc9

Apr 3, 2011 - 64 Comments

jailbreak-ios-4-3-1-redsn0w Redsn0w 0.9.6rc9 is the first untethered iOS 4.3.1 jailbreak that is available for both Mac OS X and Windows. Redsn0w is one of the easier jailbreak tools to use, just follow the instructions and you will be jailbroken in a few minutes.

This guide will perform an untethered jailbreak with iOS 4.3.1 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 GSM, iPod Touch 4G, iPod touch 3G, iPad, and Apple TV 2. Note that iPad 2 and iPhone 4 CDMA are not supported by this version of redsn0w. If you rely on ultrasn0w for an iPhone unlock, do not use this version of redsn0w.

How to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 using Redsn0w 0.9.6rc9

1. Download iOS 4.3.1 IPSW and install it on your iOS device if you haven’t done so already
  2. Download Redsn0w 0.9.6rc9 (Windows & Mac OS X versions available)
  3. Launch Redsn0w and click on “Browse”
  4. Locate the iOS 4.3.1 IPSW file you downloaded in the first step and click “Open”
  5. Select “Next”
  6. Select the checkbox next to “Install Cydia” and click “Next”
  7. Make sure your iOS device is turned off and plugged into your computer and then click on “Next”
  8. Follow the on screen instructions to put your iOS device into DFU Mode: Hold down the Power button for 1 second, then continue to hold power while holding the Home button for 10 seconds, then release the power button but continue to hold the Home button for another 15 seconds.
  9. Once you are successfully in DFU mode, redsn0w will perform the jailbreak for you so let it do the work. Your iOS device will then restart automatically and you will be jailbroken

If you need to undo the jailbreak for any reason, it’s very simple, just restore your iOS device from within iTunes.

Posted by: Manish Patel in iPad, iPhone

1. Ky says:

My redsn0w suddenly not responding when jailbreaking. !

2. Ky says:

It hangs and close at uploading ramdisk ?help?

3. Anton says:

I’ve got the exact same problem, my iPhone first froze at the ramdisk part, and now it’s not even getting past the ‘exploiting the limera1n’ part

4. Anton says:

Now it’s frozen at ‘uploading ramdisk’ and my phone is saying ‘downloading jailbreak data..’

5. karmaghost says:

For anybody who’s having trouble with redsn0w hanging on the “uploading ramdisk” part, try running redsn0w in XP compatibility mode. I’m using windows 7 and was having the same issue, but this solved it for me.

6. RAMIREZ1OF08 says:

U HAVE TO USE WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2

• Vcruz says:

I have xp service pack 3 how do I go back to service pack 2
      And why redsn0w doesn’t work in service pack 3?

7. david cooper says:

Hi

got an ipod touch 4g nd im following the instruction but my ipod nd red snow keep frezzeing my pc fine my ipod is fine i have unistalle it ect but it wont work help me please

8. Daniel Sampaio says:

I´m actually using Win XP and it crashes when the msg ‘downloading jailbreak data..’ shows up…. :(

9. Justin says:

what is compatibiliy mode and how do i enter it for windows 7

• Andrew says:

Right-Click the program’s icon, and then click “properties”. Now open the “Compatibility” tab and check the box saying “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and choose the system. Then click OK and….its done.

10. Timothy says:

Got Windows 7, running on Windows xp Service pack 2, But I’m still stuck at exploting limera1n.
    I also heard I had to Shift+Restore > iswp. Itunes gives me the “Firmware not compactable” Message.
    Halp?

11. Timothy says:

Oh, I forgot to say, the iPod (Touch 4G 4.3.1) Goes on while its exploiting…

12. Kudos to the man who figured out the ramdisk issue. Works perfectly when running in XP compatibility mode.

Genius!

13. […] If you are not sure what to do, you can read our how to guide on jailbreaking iOS 4.3.1 using redsn0w 0.9.6rc9. […]

14. hooky17 says:

If anyone is still having problems with redsn0w crashing during ramdisk upload then remember to close itunes (as well as the XP compatibility mode) this solved the problem for me. Cheers

15. Stavman says:

Tried it in compatibility mode xp serv pack3 and worked great, Thanks!!

16. Kurt says:

OMG!!! lol it took me forever!!! even with doing the compatibility mode i had to put my iphone 4 in dfu mode before opening redsn0w and then it like skipped the dfu mode part and when straight to jail breaking it

17. doifsdfosdm says:

i tried using redsn0w with win 95 and with windows xp compatibility mode and it still keeps freezin at the uploading ramdisk. plz help.

18. Ash says:

Jailbroken ok but can’t get Cydia to open!!! So totally pointless!!

Any Ideas?

19. david says:

i have a iphone4 tryed jailbreaking 4.3.1 with redsn0w 0.9.6rc9 but crashes everytime, tried runnin it as admistrator and also ran it with compatibility mode windows xp and still crashes. anyone please help not sure what to do tried jailbreaking my phone probably 50 times already nothing works!!

20. Edwin says:

I have an iphone 3gs running 4.2.1 with 5.15.04 baseband and 6.4 bootloader (I think 35th week of 2009). Can I untether jailbreak and unlock 4.2.1 with this version of redsn0w 0.9.6rc9 using the IPAD baseband?

Is it advisable to do the IPAD baseband on 4.2.1 or too soon to do this?

21. ROBERT says:

hi i have been trying to jailbreak forever. i have downloaded the rquired files and when i get to the part where it sayd to “browse” for the ipsw i click desktop (where i saved it) yet it doesnt show up. its like its not even there. i can see the file on the desktop lol but like i said when i hit browse it shaows alot of other files on my desktop including redsnow but not the 4.3.1 file. NOONE can help me so far. any suggestions?

p.s. i seem to remember trying to jailbreak with 4.2 software while i was on 4.3 and getting past this step so i dont know if that has anything to do with it. maybe a system restore?

p.p.s this happens on my pc as well as my laptop.

• Jeremy says:

Robert, are you sure that the files are saving as .ipsw files? If you are not careful they can save as another file type (.zip) and won’t be viewed there. I hope this helps.

22. Anonymous says:

my 3gs got stuck on installing activation bundles and it end up in recovery mode so i kicked it out using tinyumbrella and now its stuck on emergency screen since i dont have an official sim so how to hacktivate?

23. Luke says:

what if i already have a bunch of saved things with the redsn0w 4.2.1 jailbreak and if i do everything u say all my stuff still all be there????????????

PPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZ answer!!!!!

• Valashtar says:

No. You’re out of luck with that, unfortunately.

AptBackup will make a list of your installed packages and back that up and then restore them for you but you will lose all application data/settings.

24. James says:

After I install the latest iOS (currently at 4.2.1) and JB.. Can I restore all my information (messages, apps, music, photos, contacts etc) from a previous backup to get them back, or will I have to reinstall everything from scratch?
    what about al my Cydia apps ? Will a restore bring those back as well, or am I back to square 1?
    Thanks.

25. dan says:

cydia does not work for me. It opens for a split second then closes

26. AK Lone says:

Hi,
    I have successfully jailbroken iPhone 4G and cydia got installed but still not picking up Saudi Network.

any guidance please???

thanks…

27. ashtonhelp says:

how do i do the xp download thing

28. will says:

I was having the same problem, if you run it as windows xp compatibility and make sure the phone is in dfu mode before hand, I also click run as administrator incase that had anything to do with it, and its done jailbreaking now, im about to go back in for the ipad baseband fingers crossed.
    3gs..

29. Drice says:

Jailbreak with sn0wbreeze 2.5.1.

30. cydia borked :c says:

Cydia wont load, it crashes everytime when you try to open it, how do I fix this? :c

31. jailbreak says:

Guys…

This is for every one that had CRASH on RedSn0w iphone 4.3.1

The solution is simple, run RedSn0w on compatibility mode XP and runa as administrator, this fixes the problem and runs perfect.

32. […] instructions to use redsnow 0.9.6rc11 are the same as past versions, read our guide to jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 with redsn0w if you’d like a […]

33. Cedrik says:

If you get a white Cydia icon after jailbreaking, just redo the jailbreak process. You can run redsn0w over again, or you can restore the phone and do it from scratch.

White Cydia just means it installed wrong, very easy to fix.

• cydia borked says:

This doesn’t even work, I tried it 3 times and it’s still a white icon :/

• zofe says:

make sure you have the right ios downloaded. for example i thought the ios4.3 was the same as ios 4.3.1… but apparently theres an ios 4.3 8f19 or something which i should have installed. my problem was that i used ios 4.3.1 with redsn0w on an iphone4 running ios4.3 8f19 and got the white cydia app. so go into your settings-about and check exactly which ios u have and google that. when redsn0w asks for the ios use the new one.

-nipples

34. […] 4 GSM, iPad 1, iPod touch 3rd gen, iPod touch 4th gen, and Apple TV 2. For a walkthrough, read how to jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 using redsn0w, the guide remains the same for all redsn0w 4.3.1 […]

35. […] unlocks. If you are simply looking for a jailbreak and do not need to use an unlock, you will find jailbreaking iOS 4.3.1 using redsn0w is […]

36. Richard says:

I jailbroke my iPod touch 4g, and had to use run as admin. Try this aswell as the compatibility mode or one or the other. It jailbroke for me and worked flawlessly. The ONLY bug I see is photos doesn’t save images to the database correctly. The camera saved to the photo album and I can see the picture but when I click the trashcan to delete it just sits with a “saving image” message. Screenshots also don’t work for me. I tried restoring and rejailbreaking but same problem. I’ll try snowbreeze or the latest version of redsnow.

37. butt face says:

wait for all these people having problem with the ramdisk part are those for people with windows or mac too?

38. Lex says:

i am havin a problem after i browse for the ipsw file it keeps tellin me that is unable to recognize the ipsw file if someone could help me out it would be greatly apreciated

39. me says:

cant find the ispw file anywhere on windows 7, tried showing hidden files and nothing. re downlaoded it and still cant find it using the browse button in redsnow. HELP me this is so frustrating.

40. Dave says:

Works great in compatibility mode XP service pack 3 and as the administrator.

41. sunnie says:

I am Having same problem as ROBERT, I have tried saving the file AGAIN except trying to save as a different file but only gives me two options, All files or Zip som1 help me!!!!!!!!!!

42. cavan says:

cant find iOS 4.3.1 its not showing up please help

43. sayor says:

TRY RUNNING IN XP SERVICE PACK 2 AND RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR……..WORK FOR ME…….GR8

44. Dean says:

Mine freezes after it reboots. tried running in XP Service pack and tried running as administrator. Any ideas??