How to Setup iPhone or iPad for Kids with Screen Time Limits
Do you want to control your children’s iPhone or iPad usage by limiting the apps they use and the contacts they communicate with? Thanks to Screen Time, this is a fairly simple and straightforward procedure.
Screen Time allows iOS and iPadOS users to keep a check on their smartphone usage as well as offers a lot of parental control tools to limit the features that children and other family members are able to access. With Screen Time properly configured on your children’s devices, you can monitor their iPhone or iPad usage on a daily basis and restrict the content they have access to.
Interested in learning how you can properly configure this parental control feature on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch device? Well, you’ve certainly come to the right place then. In this article, we’ll be discussing exactly how to set up an iPhone or iPad for kids with screen time limits in place.
How to Set Up iPhone or iPad for Kids with Screen Time Limits
Screen Time is a feature that was introduced alongside the release of iOS 12 back in 2018. So, make sure your kid’s iPhone or iPad is running iOS 12 or later before you go ahead with the procedure. That being said, we still highly recommend you to update the device to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS if it’s supported, since the feature has received some noticeable improvements. Now, without further ado, let’s take a look at the necessary steps.
- Open the “Settings” app from the home screen of your child’s iPhone or iPad.
- In the Settings menu, scroll down and tap on “Screen Time”.
- Now, choose “Turn on Screen Time” as shown in the screenshot below.
- A brief description regarding Screen Time will now be displayed on your screen. Simply tap on “Continue”.
- Since you’re setting up Screen Time on your kid’s iOS device, just choose “This is my Child’s iPhone”.
- In this step, you’ll be configuring Downtime. You could use this tool to set a schedule for time away from the screen. For example, this could be during your kid’s study time or bed time. Once you’ve picked a preferred Start and End time, tap on “Set Downtime”.
- Here, we’ll be configuring App Limits. You could set a time limit on various apps based on their categories. For example, you can set a time-limit for how long your child is able to play games on the device. Once you’ve chosen your preferred settings, tap “Set App Limit”.
- Now, you’ll be shown a brief description about the Content & Privacy settings that Screen Time has to offer. This can be customized in Screen Time settings later, but not when you’re trying to set it up for the first time. Simply tap “Continue”.
- Type a passcode that will be used to protect your Screen Time settings from being accessed by your kids.
- As for the last step, you need to type in your Apple ID on your kid’s iOS device for resetting the Screen Time passcode, in case you ever forget it. Once you’ve filled your log-in details, tap “OK”.
That’s about it, you’ve now setup Screen Time on iPhone or iPad with all the various limits in place.
If you take advantage of Apple’s Family Sharing feature, you can set up Screen Time for any member in your family group right from your iPhone or iPad, without actually needing to physically touch your kid’s device. You can also adjust the Screen Time settings for your kid at any time using this method.
Once you’ve successfully set up Screen Time on your kid’s iPhone or iPad, you’ll be able to customize Content & Privacy restrictions. For example, you could turn off App Store purchases or block playback of explicit content on your child’s iOS device.
That being said, make sure you keep updating your Screen Time passcode regularly to avoid unauthorized access to your Screen Time settings.
We hope you managedd to set up and configure Screen Time on your kid’s iPhone or iPad without any issues. What do you think of Apple’s Screen Time feature in general? What is your favorite parental control tool that Screen Time has to offer? Do let us know your thoughts and opinions in the comments section down below.