How to Use Apple Watch as Music Remote on Mac or PC
Do you listen to music a lot using iTunes on a Windows PC, or the Music app on your Mac? If you also own an Apple Watch, you’ll be pleased to know that you can control the music playback right from your wrist. That’s right, if your Mac or PC is out of your reach, you can effortlessly use your Apple Watch instead to change what music is playing on the computer.
Apple Watch has a built-in Remote app, just like the iTunes Remote that’s available for iOS and iPadOS devices. This app can be used to control the music playback on not only iTunes on Windows, but also the Music app on Mac, provided both the computer and Apple Watch are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. However, your music library doesn’t just show up when you launch the Remote app. You’ll need to go through a set-up process first. Let’s take a look at how you can use an Apple Watch as a Music or iTunes remote.
Using Apple Watch to Control Music on Mac or Windows PC
Here, we’ll be focusing mostly on the steps for iTunes on Windows, but the procedure is very similar on the Mac as well, except that you’ll be using the Music app instead. We’ll let you know what you need to do on the Mac as well, so don’t worry.
- Press the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch to access the home screen full of apps. Scroll around and tap on the Remote app as shown below.
- Once opened, tap on the “Add Device” option to get started. Make sure your Apple Watch and the computer you’re trying to pair with are connected to the same Wi-Fi network before you proceed.
- Your Apple Watch will now display a 4-digit code on the screen. Note it down and open iTunes on your computer. If you’re using a Mac, open the Music app.
- Click on the Remote icon located below the menu bar in iTunes as shown in the screenshot below. If you’re on Mac, you will need to select the Apple Watch from the list of devices shown with your library on the left pane.
- Now, you’ll need to type in the 4-digit code that was shown on your Apple Watch. Now, your Apple Watch will connect to iTunes or the Music app depending on the device you’re using and show the library within the Remote app.
- Once connected, the app will automatically bring up the playback menu where you can start/stop playing a song in your library. You can use the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch to control the volume.
There you go, you’ve successfully connected your Apple Watch to your computer as a playback control device.
From now on, if you’re not in front of the desk where your computer is located, you can still wirelessly pause the playback or adjust the volume using the Apple Watch you’re wearing.
Sometimes, the Remote app may fail to show up on iTunes when you launch it. This is because the Remote icon isn’t permanent and only shows up when your Apple Watch is trying to pair with a computer that’s connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
The Remote app for Apple Watch does have its limitations, however. For starters, you cannot select the song that you want to play since you cannot view your albums, playlist, artists, etc. unlike the Remote app that’s available for iOS and iPadOS devices. Therefore, if you’re looking for more control, you may be interested in learning how to use your iPhone or iPad as an iTunes Remote.
We hope you were able to set up your Apple Watch as a remote for controlling music playback on your computer. Does the lack of advanced controls like being able to choose the music force you to use the Remote app for iOS instead? Share your thoughts and insights in the comments.