iPhone 14 Won’t Turn On? Here’s the Fix

Oct 15, 2022 - 16 Comments

iPhone 14 Pro black screen won't turn on

Some users who are new to the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro series are finding they can’t turn on their device, or that iPhone 14 won’t turn on when they press the Power button on the side of the device.

This is usually a super simple fix, so if you’re having issues with the iPhone 14 powering on, read along and you’ll have it resolved in no time. And yes these tips apply to all iPhone 14 models, including iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 14 Plus, and iPhone 14.

Fixing iPhone 14 Pro Black Screen or When Won’t Turn On

First, realize that sometimes if iPhone 14 is powered off, you have to hold the Power button down for a few seconds to get the iPhone to power on. If you’ve tried that and it’s not turning on, then read along for the other troubleshooting steps.

1: Charge the iPhone 14 for a While

The most likely reason an iPhone 14 or iPhone 14 Pro won’t turn on is that there is simply not enough battery power.

Thus, simply connect the iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 to a power source and let it charge for 15-20 minutes, and then while it is still connected to power, press and hold the Power/Lock button to power the iPhone 14 on.

2: Force Restart iPhone 14 to Power On

You can force restart iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro by performing the following set of actions:

1. Press and release Volume Up button
  2. Press and release Volume Down button
  3. Press and hold Power/Lock button until you see the  Apple logo on screen

Sometimes, if the iPhone is not responding to the typical procedure for starting up or powering on, trying the force restart sequence will resolve the issue.

3: Contact Apple Support

If you’ve charged and force rebooted the iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 14 Plus, or iPhone 14 and it’s still not powering on, your next best bet is to contact Apple. Rarely, hardware issues can cause device problems, but since the iPhone 14 is new it will be under full warranty and you’ll be able to get the problem worked out quickly thanks to Apple’s well known great support.

You can find your local Apple Support phone number here to reach out to.

Did you get your iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 14 Plus, or iPhone 14 to turn on as expected? Let us know what worked for you in the comments.

Posted by: Jamie Cuevas in iPhone, Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. Ed says:

Helpful article. The quick touch of the up then down volume buttons and longer hold of the on/off button worked for me. BS that this is necessary.

2. Jessica says:

Thank you for this comment!!!! I tried everything but it wouldn’t work until I did it super speed. I was starting to panic.

3. Mary says:

You are a genius!! I was in a complete panic because I did the same steps over and over (vol up dn hold pow) but held vol buttons too long!! When I did it quickly like you said it finally worked.

4. Baker says:

I have tried everything listed here!!!! I need to access my phone!!

5. Chuck says:

At first I couldn’t get the reset to work. I pressed and released the up button, then the down button, then held the power button for like 20 seconds. Nothing. Then I thought…. let me try pressing and releasing the up button, then the down button a little faster. Kinda like typing in a cheat code on the old NES controllers. If you go too slow it doesn’t work. I went faster and it worked.

• Janet says:

Chuck, thank you for this suggestion. The first couple of times I tried this it didn’t work. Then I did what you described and it worked! You saved me a ferry trip and 1/2 a day of dealing with this at the genius bar.

6. Brian Johnson says:

Tried the listed steps. Nothing would happen. Eventually tried holding both volume up and down at the same time and power and holding all three at once for a few seconds and Apple logo finally appeared and phone came back on.

7. chris says:

Nothing I do will work. Tried every step suggested above. Phone has been on the charger for hours as well. Nothing

8. Celeste says:

Had to go through force restart procedures about 5 or 6 times then the Apple logo came on, phone started working.

9. Deboni says:

The force restart isn’t working and the only apple support info listed is a phone number??? I CAN’T EVEN TURN MY PHONE ON!!!

10. Shevon Luckey says:

It worked! Had to do it a couple of times but it work! Thanks!

11. Ashley says:

Forced restarted my iPhone 14 pro max as it was not turning on and successful

12. Schrock Norman says:

My MacBook Air M1 does not recognize my iPhone 14 Pro when I try to Airdrop something.

13. Mister Clown says:

This article is completely hilarious !
    APPLE is such a big company!
    I’m still laughing about it…