How to Factory Reset an iPhone (15, 14, 13, 12, 11, X, etc)
If you have an iPhone that you’d like to erase and factory reset, you can perform a reset function on the iPhone to erase everything and restore the iPhone to factory settings, as if it were a brand new device.
Factory resetting an iPhone like this will erase all content on the device, including all photos, videos, notes, contacts, and personal data. Nothing will be kept on the iPhone. Thus, it is important that you backup your stuff and make sure you are OK with erasing and removing everything from iPhone during the factory reset.
How to Erase iPhone and Reset to Factory Settings
Remember, this erases everything on iPhone. If you are not looking to completely erase the iPhone, do not proceed.
- Before anything else, backup your device so you do not lose personal data. Backup iPhone to iCloud, iTunes, or Finder
- Next, you need to turn off Find My iPhone. Open the Settings app, tap on your name at the top, then tap Find My. Toggle the switch to disable “Find My iPhone” and enter your Apple ID password to confirm you wish to turn the feature off
- From Settings, now go to “General” and then to “Transfer or Reset iPhone”
- Tap on “Erase All Content and Settings”
- iPhone will show you all data that will be erased and reset on the device, tap “Continue” and then confirm that you want to erase all content and settings on the iPhone
- The iPhone will now erase all content and settings on the device, factory resetting the iPhone
When the iPhone is finished resetting and erasing all content, it will restart and go to the Setup Assistant, as if the iPhone were brand new.
At this point you can either set up the iPhone as new yourself, give it to a new owner, sell it, restore it from your own backups made in the first step, or whatever else you’d like to do.
So there you have it, your iPhone is now erased, factory reset, and ready to use.
This works on all semi-modern iPhone models, including iPhone 14 series (including iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max), iPhone 13, iPhone 12, iPhone 11, iPhone X-series (XR, XS, X), iPhone 8, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, and others. As long as the iPhone is running a modern version of iOS system software, you will have the Reset option available to you. Even on older iPhone models like the 6 series and 5 series, you can factory reset similarly.