Disable Bonjour by turning off mDNSResponder

Sep 15, 2009 - 7 Comments

mac terminal Bonjour is a great service that runs in the background of your Mac to auto-discover network resources, that is, it’s great until mDNSResponder goes haywire. I was recently in a very creatively crafted network environment that made Bonjour absolutely freak out and tax my CPU with a million processes, so I opted to just disable the service temporarily. Generally speaking you should leave Bonjour enabled since it’s functionality is ubiquitously used throughout Mac OS X, but if you DO want to disable mDNSResponder, here’s how to do it:

Turn off mDNSResponder by disabling Bonjour

Launch the terminal and type:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

Turn on Bonjour aka mDNSResponder

To reenable Bonjour simply type the following to reload the mDNSResponder daemon:
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

Both of these commands to enable or disable Bonjour will require your administrator password to execute as root, hence the use of sudo.

Posted by: David Mendez in Command Line, Mac OS X, Troubleshooting

1. Jon says:

Would this fix my DNS issue I have when I connect to a Windows VPN but cannot ping/VNC to PC’s by computer name?

2. Guerren says:

YMMV. I tried this a while back and it disabled all name resolution period – It seems like mDNSResponder handles dhcp addy acquisition and renewals. If you go down this route you might consider renewing your dhcp lease to see if it still works…

3. Janvier says:

I tried this and couldn’t access the web anymore..

4. Paul says:

Same problem as Janvier: If I use the given terminal command to disable Bonjour, my computer can no longer access the internet.

5. [...] and work seamlessly together on your local network. To disable the service have a look at this: Disable Bonjour by turning off mDNSResponder – OS X Daily Just remember that some network services you may be used to being available will no longer [...]

6. Shaun says:

Doing this breaks iTunes.

7. Google says:

After I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are
    added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I
    get four emails with the exact same comment.
    Is there an easy method you can remove me from that service?
    Thanks!