iPhone 4 Availability and Pricing
In case you missed it, iPhone 4 is a big deal. Running iOS 4, it’s packed with amazing features that blow any other smartphone out of the water. A powerful processor, high density screen resolution and display, video chat, HD video recording and editing, camera with flash, it’s all there.
iPhone 4 Availability
Supply is still struggling to keep up with demand, stores continue to sell out quickly. We’ll keep you updated on the latest availability information.
The following list applies to the USA demonstrating current iPhone 4 availability at stores:
- Apple Store: continues to sell strongly. Available at approximately 80% of Apple Stores, call to verify stock
- Apple Store Online: available for delivery 3 weeks after placing order
- AT&T: available in very limited quantities at AT&T stores, call your local store to verify current stock on hand, sells out quickly
- Best Buy: usually SOLD OUT
- Wal Mart: usually SOLD OUT
- RadioShack: usually SOLD OUT
iPhone 4 supplies will be replenished periodically at most Apple Stores and resellers throughout the summer months. Reports indicate that while additional shipments of iPhone 4 will be arriving, they too are expected to sell out.
iPhone 4 Availability Update on 9/17/2010:
Apple continues to cope with strong demand for iPhone 4 as the device remains a hot commodity, here’s the latest we know on availability :
- iPhone 4 continues to sell out at many Apple Stores, most Apple Stores have them in stock on a semi-regular basis now. Call or stop by a local store to find out for sure.
- iPhone 4 is often available at most AT&T stores
- All other resellers of iPhone 4 are sold out of existing stock
- You can still order iPhone 4 online from Apple or AT&T but the current estimated ship date is 3 weeks from the date of order
- White iPhone 4 has been delayed twice due to production challenges, there is no definitive release date for the white model
- Analysts predict Apple will not be able to keep up with continued summer demand for iPhone 4, supply constraints are actually limiting sales of iPhone 4 at this point and Apple is working with suppliers to meet demand
- Apple announced that over 1.7 million iPhone 4’s were sold in the first three days alone
For the USA, France, Germany, United Kingdom, and Japan, iPhone 4 became available on the release date of June 24, all of the release date phones were quickly sold out. Pre-orders for iPhone 4 started June 15th and quickly sold out. Due to the immense pre-order demand, AT&T did not start selling iPhone 4 in stores until June 29.
Availability of White iPhone 4
Apple has again delayed the release of the White iPhone 4, due to challenging production constraints.
Apple has confirmed that the white iPhone 4 will not be available until late July, due to production difficulties. Historically, the Black iPhone has sold out faster and been more popular than the white iPhone. Here is the press release from Apple, issued June 24, 2010:
White models of Apple’s new iPhone® 4 have proven more challenging to manufacture than expected, and as a result they will not be available until the second half of July. The availability of the more popular iPhone 4 black models is not affected.
The newest press release, issued on July 23, 2010 regarding the delay of the white model specifies a date of ‘later this year’:
White models of Apple’s new iPhone® 4 have continued to be more challenging to manufacture than we originally expected, and as a result they will not be available until later this year. The availability of the more popular iPhone 4 black models is not affected.
iPhone 4 Availability by Country
- UK – SOLD OUT
- Japan – SOLD OUT
The 4th generation iPhone is being released at different dates throughout the year around the world. Here are the expected release months and accompanying countries.
June: USA, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Japan
July: Australia, Canada, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
September: Additional countries are expected to have iPhone 4 available by the end of September. Apple says 88 countries are planned to carry the device.
Stores Selling iPhone 4
Here are the current US resellers of iPhone 4. Not all resellers took pre-orders:
- Apple Store – iPhone 4 available to purchase at any official Apple Store, as well as the online store
- AT&T Store – stores are carrying the device, they began selling at a delayed release of June 29
- Best Buy – one of the few retailers who will sell iPhone 4
- Walmart – Walmart will sell iPhone 4 but did not take pre-orders
- RadioShack – the only other electronic reseller to have iPhone 4
iPhone 4 Pricing
iPhone 4 is is offered in two models and the pricing depends on the storage capacity.
* iPhone 4 16GB: $199 (requires renewing AT&T contract in USA)
* iPhone 4 32GB: $299 (requires new 2yr AT&T contract)
Both iPhone 4 models are available in black and white at the same price. You can get more information about iPhone 4 price structures, including data plans, upgrade prices, the price of iPhone 4 without a contract (it’s not cheap!), and more, at our iPhone 4 price guide.
I already own an iPhone in contract, how do I get iPhone 4?
If you already have an iPhone in contract and you want the newest model there are very reasonable options for you too. Check your iPhone 4 upgrade eligibility with AT&T and you likely won’t have to wait until your old contract expires. In most cases, you’ll be able to renew your contract and buy the new iPhone with a minimal (if any) fee, and this fee is usually waived for anyone whose contract expires in 2010.
Upgrading to iPhone 4 is easy and expected. Initial sales figures say that 77% of the initial wave of iPhone 4 purchases are upgrades from existing iPhone customers, Apple and AT&T are aware of this and intend to make upgrading to the new device a simple process.
What’s the difference between iPhone 4 and iPhone 4G?
We’ve had several emails asking us what the difference is between iPhone 4 and iPhone 4G – there is no difference. iPhone 4 is the proper name, but because it’s the 4th generation iPhone some people are referring to it as iPhone 4G, which is technically incorrect and is not the name of the product. Regardless of the naming convention, the device continues to run on the 3G network.
What store is most likely to carry iPhone 4?
This is another question we get asked frequently. While supply of iPhone 4 continues to be limited, your best bet at getting your hands on the device is either to order online and wait until it ships, or to go to Apple and AT&T stores, since they are the official manufacturer and carriers. When demand eases, you should be able to visit any of the other resellers and pick up the device, but this could take weeks or even months.
Is there a central iPhone 4 availability checker?
No, there is no central database of iPhone 4 availability that is in the public hands, only Apple holds this data. That said, we do our best to update this page based on information we receive from users and our own inquiries. The only way to check if iPhone 4 is available at any particular store is to call to verify existing stock.