Mac OS X 10.6 to Get SSD TRIM Support? New MacBook Pro Suggest Yes

Mar 4, 2011 - 20 Comments

mac-os-x-10-6-ssd-trim-support

It was recently discovered that Mac OS X Lion will have SSD TRIM support, but OS X users with SSD devices may not have to wait until 10.7 is released this summer to get TRIM support.

AppleInsider has discovered that newly released MacBook Pro 2011 updates are shipping with a unique build of Mac OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard that includes native TRIM support for SSD drives. Thus far the custom 10.6.6 build 10J3210 has only been reported to appear on the latest MacBook Pro models, while existing OS X 10.6.6 installations remain at build 10J567.

This information strongly suggests that Apple may release a software update to Mac OS X 10.6 that includes the native TRIM function, this would be a welcome update for Mac users with solid state drives. It is possible that TRIM could arrive with Mac OS X 10.6.7, but this is only speculation.

Update: Ethan submitted the following screenshot corroborating that SSD TRIM support is included in new versions of 10.6.6:

ssd-trim-10-6-6

This is from the new MacBook Pro 13″ Core i7 2.7GHz model.

Posted by: Manish Patel in Mac OS X, News

1. James says:

The main reason I have held on upgrading to SSD myself is because TRIM is no where to be seen. This would be a wonderful (if not necessary) improvement and I hope you are right about the inclusion with 10.6.7.

Someone ought to check the Apple Store MacBook Air builds to see if they correspond with the MacBook Pro. You would certainly think (and hope) they would with SSD only storage options.

2. Ethan says:

I have a new MBP and have trim support. I just checked and can send a photo to prove it

• Valourbaby says:

Do u have a ssd?
      I just ordered a MBP today top of the line 17inch 2.3ghz with 7200rpm hd going to get third party ssd

3. Ethan says:

Yes I have the SSD drive

4. derek says:

great news!

5. adi says:

does it support third party ssd as well? anyone can confirm this?

• Geoff says:

It does not. I installed the 120GB OCZ-Vertex2 in my new Macbook Pro 17″ with build 10J3210 and TRIM is not supported. Must only be for Apple installed SSD drives. Oh well. On another note, this laptop is faster than my workstation lol. Killer system.

6. Ricky says:

Awesome!

7. font9a says:

I have a dual SSD RAID-0 setup in my 2.3 MBP with the Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J3210) build, but my menu shows TRIM is not supported — which is expected because SandForce RAID-0 volumes neither use or need TRIM

8. Fredco says:

Excuse my ignorance as I’m not an engineer, but what’s always baffled me is why does the operating system… [Windows, Mac, Linux, whatever] have to support something that should be handled within the drive’s firmware? Something like TRIM should be completely invisible to the host OS.

• justin says:

The hdd has no idea what blocks are being used, that’s up to the file system, which resides at the OS level. Basically the only logic the HDD does is convert the logical block address (LBA), which is how the file system sees the hdd, to the CHS (cylinder, head, sector) address.

9. Jameson says:

I just put my SuperTalent SSD in a new 2011 MacBook Pro. While I do see the Trim Support option, it appears to be set to “No”. Very, very disappointed. I hope later OS releases offer support for non-Apple SSDs.

10. [...] good to know that Apple is working on removing performance bottlenecks wherever it can.Article via OSXDaily. Tweet About Eugene HuoEugene Huo is a Juno Award winning recording engineer, video editor, [...]

11. Bret says:

For those of you that have installed 3rd party SSD in the 2011 MacBook Pro and discovered that TRIM is not supported are you keeping the SSD in there for now or are you taking it out and waiting for TRIM support to be added to OS X? I have a Corsair Force 120 and the new 2011 15″ 2.0 MacBook Pro and I’m wondering if I should wait and hope for proper TRIM support or just go ahead and use it?

12. John says:

I just upgraded to an Intel X25-M 120GB SSD along with updating to Mac OX 10.6.7 on a 13″ MacBook (unibody). Too bad TRIM wasn’t enabled. Is there command I can to enable it?

INTEL SSDSA2M120G2GC:

Capacity: 120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
    Model: INTEL SSDSA2M120G2GC
    Revision: 2CV102M3
    Serial Number: ***HIDDEN***
    Native Command Queuing: Yes
    Queue Depth: 32
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Medium Type: Solid State
    TRIM Support: No
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
    Volumes:

13. [...] Anandtech also mentions they haven’t been able to test TRIM support on the new drives, and it’s not clear if TRIM is enabled on these new MacBook Air’s in the same fashion that TRIM is enabled on new MacBook Pro‘s. [...]

14. choopeee says:

Hello!

I have an iMac (27″ 3,4 Core i7 1TB…) and i put an SSD into it(Kingston SSDNOW V100). I have lion on this, but the TRIM is not working and the machine crash always after one week…
    I tried to fix with these apps, but these are not working.

Please HELP!