Kings Quest 1, 2, & 3 are Free to Download for Mac – Blast from the Past!

May 28, 2011 - 42 Comments

Kings Quest 3 Screen Shots

If you grew up in the 80’s and you had an interest in video games plus a computer, you probably played Kings Quest. Now, you can relive the past for free thanks to AGD Interactive, who has remade and redrawn Kings Quest 1: Quest for the Crown, Kings Quest 2: Romancing the Stones, and Kings Quest 3: To Heir is Human, and released the three versions as a free download from their website.

Each KQ game has a great storyline with a ton of game play with those now classic retro pixelated graphics. The series was a big hit for DOS, Apple II, Apple IIGS, Mac, even Amiga, but even if you haven’t played it before and you’re just a fan of retro adventure games, you’ll also get a kick out of the Kings Quest lineup.

Download Kings Quest 1, 2, & 3 for Free

AGD Interactive offers each version as a free download for Mac or Windows:

The games run flawlessly and the system requirements are quite low so you should be able to play them on just about any Intel Mac or a Pentium PC if you’d rather play on office time.

Kings Quest is a great blast from the past, highly recommended!

More screen shots below:

Kings Quest 1 screen shot

Kings Quest 3 Screen shot

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Fun, Games, Mac OS X, Retro

1. PsychoX says:

Awesome. These games bring back memories of good times with friends after school everyday. None of which we could beat without the hint book.

2. Carlos says:

Kings Quest 3 was so freaking hard, it’s not any easier now as an adult, I just played for an hour and am stuck on the same problems I hit when I was 5 on an IIGS, LOL

3. Robert Maroon says:

@Carlos
    Then it means you haven’t got any smarter. :)

4. […] to buy anything? Already maxed out your gaming budget for the month? Don’t forget to grab Kings Quest 1, 2, 3 for Mac, they’re all free to download. stLight.options({ publisher:'fe5e0a84-1fac-40de-8014-9f89fc1cbe6a' […]

5. […] Paul Horowitz, Kings Quest 1, 2, & 3 are Free to Download for Mac – Blast from the Past!, OSXDaily (May 28, […]

6. The NVR GUys says:

This rocks. All the fun without having to swap out floppies!

7. Jeff says:

Awesome article. Love these games. Gaming today sucks these are true RPGS!

8. morgan says:

Works perfectly, these are great classics.

9. […] Quest 1-3 are now free for download Kings Quest 1, 2, & 3 are Free to Download for Mac – Blast from the Past! I've only played 1 and 5, gonna have to play these […]

10. Sarah says:

I’m using OS X 10, and when I try to open the program, nothing is happening. I get the ‘this was downloaded from the internet, do you want to open’ warning, and after I click on that the KQ icon appears and then disappears. Any ideas?

• Will says:

Hey Sarah,

Your browser is just wanting to confirm the app download, afterwards it is likely unzipped and stored in your Downloads folder or as an image file that needs to be mounted. Something like “Kq1vga41c.dmg” which can be mounted and the app installed as usual, by dragging to your /Applications/ folder.

Hope that helps, have fun!

11. Richard says:

doesn’t seem to work on lion

12. Cassie says:

HELP!! I’ve got a macbook pro, have downloaded the game, but when i try to open it it says ‘Are you sure you want to open it?’ I click ‘Open’
    Then it says ‘The application CXSkin quit unexpectedly.’

What shall I do?
    Please could someone explain, I have no idea what to do and am ignorant as regards computers and software!!

Thanks :)

• Jessica says:

I downloaded Boxer it worked perfectly for this!

• MVP says:

which file did you launch for these games once you imported it on boxer. i downloaded boxer and imported all these games like it said but the game doesn’t start, it gives a list of files to choose from. none of them start the game. can you help?

13. Matt says:

Ah, I thought I hit the 80s jackpot, but alas these games don’t work on my computer, even though it meets or exceeds all of the requirements!!! Too bad, I would pay good money to play these games…. maybe $$THOUSANDS$$

14. Wil says:

I got all excited. These were the first Sierra games I played (back in the day…as a kid), but alas I can’t get KQI to run on Lion. :(((((((((

15. Chris says:

Sad that this won’t run on Lion. On the other hand, VirtualBox is free so I’ll probably be setting up a WinXP VM where I’m sure it will run just fine.

16. Ali says:

Any ideas on how to make it work in Lion? Other than run windows inside of Lion…

17. TRP says:

I’m not on Lion thank god but I find the mouse/curser moves so slowly it makes playing these 3 versions incredibly tedious. I just played no. 6 formatted for Mac and that ran beautifully.
    Can anyone help? Is there some other software i need to load to speed it up?

18. […] Good Old Games is running a $4.99 sale on multiple Sierra titles including Space Quest and Kings Quest. The games come in packages of three and are compatible with Windows (sorry, Mac users, but here’s a consolation prize). […]

19. Andrew says:

I’m on a mac running Lion and KQ1 works fine for me. 2&3 do not work.

20. […] And so I did –  Click here to download the first 3 versions of the game formatted for both Mac & PC. […]

21. Caroline says:

Ok I have Mac Leopard. I’m also getting “The application CXSkin quit unexpectedly.” I then downloaded Boxer but the game won’t import.

Any suggestions?

22. olympic london says:

Jon Jones & GSP are in different divisions your point is irrelevant & flat out wrong.As for Weidman HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You mean the rookie who has less amount of total fights than Anderson has title defenses? LMFAO… why would Anderson fight a no name rookie? That’ll draw ZERO money… not to mention Anderson would school that rookie, with ease… & you know this. HaHa.

23. shtorbin snes says:

the first one doesnt even work on my macbook….wtf…

disappointed but hopefully the other 2 work!

24. Edith says:

Just FYI, these are the re-mastered versions brought out in the early 90s to replace the boxy graphics of the originals. Gameplay/choices are mostly the same but IIRC the remastered KQI has a few bugs, don’t know if these releases fix that.
    Still looking for the originals myself, love me some boxy graphics.
    Also- Where to find 4, 5, and 6?!

• Ojore says:

There is a collectors edition with every game from the series you can got of amazon or ebay for like 10 dollars.

• Jill says:

The collector’s edition of the KQ games that I have found are only compatible with Windows. So Mac users can’t play without finding a way to use Windows on their computers.

25. Jeff says:

I was so excited to find these games. Spent many a hour as a kid playing these……but then Lion won’t open them. Damn you Apple, damn you to hell!

26. Anthony says:

Any way to get all three to play on OSX Lion?

27. Jill says:

I figured out how to run the games on my iMac. As long as you have the minimum requirements to play it should work.

1. Download the MAC friendly version from the AGDInteractive website. Once download is complete, click the game in the downloads. It should then appear on your desktop.

2. Open the FINDER

3. click APPLICATIONS
    – scroll down and open the UTILITIES folder
    – scroll down and open the DISK UTILITY icon

4. click once on the game file you wish to play that ends in .dmg
    -for ex. KQ1 will show as KQ1VGA41C.dmg

5. click CONVERT
    – go to IMAGE FORMAT, select DVD/CD master
    – click SAVE

6. Double click the new file that appears. It should be the same as the original except now it ends with .cdr

A new icon for the game should now be on your desktop. If you are unsure which is which, right click on the icon and select “get info”. If it is the one that ends in .dmg just right click on the icon and eject the disc.

Now you can just double click on the game that is now on your desktop and then select the game in folder that opens. You should now be able to play!

Hope this helps!

28. Emily says:

:/ got an unable to create “does not exist” —
    i tried this with the KQ3 ReduxII they released.
    Thanks for the try though
    I have a MacBook Pro with 10.7.5

29. Aaron says:

Aw man…they aren’t working for me on Maverick

30. Adrian says:

When I try to play them, they flash like a strobe light…has anyone else had this problem? I’m running OS X 10.9.2

I would really love to play these…does anyone know if there’s anything I can do?

Thanks in advance for your help.