Unlock Any iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, or iPhone 3GS Right Now with SAM
A new unlock method has been discovered that works on every iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 3GS running iOS 5, iOS 5.0.1, and even iOS 5.1, the only requirement is the iPhone must be jailbroken already. If you’re already jailbroke go ahead, otherwise here are guides to jailbreak iOS 5.1 and another guide for the iPhone 4S with iOS 5.0.1.
- Assuming your iPhone is jailbroken and ready to go…
- Open Cydia and add the repo “repo.bingner.com” and then search for “SAM” by sbingner and install it
- Tap on the orange SAMPrefs icon that looks like a SIM card to launch the app
- Tap “Utilities” and select “De-Activate iPhone”, tap “OK” when the deactivation notification pops up
- Now tap “Method” and tap on “By Country and Carrier”
- Tap “Country” and select the country the iPhone is locked to
- Tap “Carrier” and choose the origin carrier the iPhone is locked to
- Tap “More Information” and tap the IMSI number found under “SAM Details”
- Tap on “Spoof Real SIM to SAM”
- Tap back to the primary SAM setting screen, and paste the IMSI number into IMSI
- Connect the iPhone to the computer and launch iTunes, letting iTunes reactive the iPhone
- Disconnect the iPhone from the computer and quit iTunes, then tap on “SAMPrefs” again and flip the “Enabled” switch so that SAM is disabled
- Relaunch iTunes and connect the iPhone to the computer yet again, ignore the “failed to activate” message and quit and relaunch iTunes again
- Wait a minute or two and the iPhone should get a signal from the new carrier, it’s now unlocked and activated
The downside to the SAM unlock method is that it requires a jailbreak, that means if you lose your the jailbreak you lose the unlock. If you don’t want to jailbreak or you can’t for some reason, you can officially unlock an iPhone from AT&T by phone or through AT&T via web chat instead. It can take several weeks for the unlock request to process with AT&T and the iPhone must be out of contract, but it doesn’t require any funky software mods and is much easier than the aforementioned SAM method.
Great find by Singularity and @musclenerd.