How to Delete Multiple Photos Directly on iPhone

Aug 3, 2012 - 7 Comments

Delete a group of photos directly on the iPhone

You can delete all iPhone photos by connecting the device to a computer, but what if you need to delete a group of pictures in bulk from the iPhone itself? You can do that too, though removing multiple images from the iPhone (or iPad or iPod) is generally best for smaller groups of pictures as you’ll soon see. Here’s how to do it:

• Open Photos and go to Camera Roll
  • Tap the [>] arrow action button in the corner
  • Tap every picture you want to delete in bulk, then tap the red “Delete” button in the corner

Delete multiple photos directly on iPhone

The photos are instantly removed with this method, which makes it much faster than using Image Capture or iPhoto, and it’s the only option to mass delete pics if you’re on the go with an iOS device. The obvious downside is that you have to manually select each picture you want to delete, and if you’re trying to remove a huge library of images it’s going to take a long time to tap them all.

Individual pictures can also be removed on a one-by-one basis by tapping on the picture itself from the Photos app, then tapping the Trash icon in the corner.

Thanks to Marcus for the reminder

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Tips & Tricks

1. Nice tip. There is a tip related to this one: on the iPad, you can select multiple images by selecting one picture with two fingers then moving the fingers to other pictures, they will be automatically selected. This makes multi selection way faster & easier.

2. Eva says:

Hej. Min man försöker gömma porrfilmen som är inspelad på webb, vet att den finns här, hoppas ni kan hjälpa honom på bästa sätt, själv har jag sett filmen, och tycker sådär, inte roligt att se sin man med en kvinna och en man, han törs inte ens stå för detta. Är väldigt pinsamt, per du behöver inte gömma filmen mer. Din fru

3. Colin says:

I cant find any arrow keys [>] arrow action button. Can you help?

4. Dean says:

I also do not see the arrow/box until I select an individual photo.
    I have many repetitions and some have disappeared as I cannot seem to sync files from two locations in iTunes.

• jeff says:

I found it on the bottom in the center. it looks like a box with an arrow comming out of it. I am guessing it is because of the new version of IOs.

5. Alan says:

Cannot find delete button only share, add to etc

6. Mud says:

Thanks. Worked like a charm! Saved me hours. Now if my phone would just stop taking High Def and regular res photos. It clogs memory a lot faster than I’d like. Then there is the “instagram” edited pic too. Oi!