iPhone 4 SDK available for download
Alright iPhone developers, no more beta versions; version 4 of the iPhone/iPad SDK has been released on Apple’s Developer Center. The iPhone 4 SDK has been available in various iterations to those who are registered iPhone developers, but now anyone with an Apple dev login can download the Xcode & iPhone SDK 4 package for free. iPhone 4 SDK includes over 1500 new API’s for developers to tap into and create amazing experiences for touch devices that run iOS 4. Other highlights of iPhone 4 SDK include:
- Multitasking – seven new multitasking services to allow apps to perform tasks in the background while other apps run
- iAd – embed full-screen interactive ads directly within your applications, so users never have to leave the app
- Game Center – developer preview of the GameKit API’s that will allow for multiplayer gameplay on Apple’s new social gaming network
- Video Playback & Capture – full control over playback and capturing of videos and audio
- Calendar Access – apps will now be able to create and edit events within the Calendar app
- SMS within Apps – you can now embed the ability to compose and SMS messages within an app, just like Mail
- Quick Look – just like Mac OS X Quick Look, apps can quickly see previews of documents with Quick Look API
- Map Kit Improvements – developers can now draw overlays directly onto maps
- Full Photo & Media Library Access – apps now can directly access user photo and video
You can head on over to the iPhone Developer Downloads page on Apple.com to get version 4 of iPhone SDK, or read more about iPhone 4 SDK on Apple’s What’s New page.
You forgot to mention that it is only available for snow leopard. What possible justification is there for that? And now ALL apps have to be submitted using iphone 4 SDK. It’s only a matter of time before the justice department is all over apple. Imagine if MSFT did this.