Enable Multi-Tasking Gestures & Display Mirroring in iOS 5 for iPad 1
The first generation iPad got iOS 5, but it didn’t officially get multitasking gestures or display mirroring. Not a huge deal, because a user on ModMyi figured out how to enable these two features and has released a modified version of redsn0w so that it unlocks these abilities, without a jailbreak. It’s pretty easy to use, so if you want to enable these features here’s how to use the tool and make your first-gen iPad feel a bit more modern.
Warning: This is for iPad 1 only. The gestures and mirroring already exist on iPad 2 making this unnecessary. Backup your iPad beforehand just in case something goes wrong, and proceed at your own risk.
- Download the modified version of redsn0w that carries the tweaked payload
- Connect the iPad to the computer
- Turn off the iPad
- Launch redsn0w and select “jailbreak” (no it won’t actually jailbreak if you follow the rest of the instructions)
- Follow the onscreen instructions to put the iPad into DFU mode
- Uncheck “Install Cydia” – this stops the jailbreak nut enables the multitasking and mirroring
- Check “Enable Multitask Gestures”
- Click “Next” and let the process complete and the iPad reboot
- When the iPad restarts, go to “Settings” and tap on “General” to find “Multitasking Gestures” and be sure that is set to ON
Once it’s turned on, the easiest way to verify is by pinching with four fingers to see if you return to your home screen.
The Multitasking Gestures
Using four or five fingers you can…
- Pinch to the Home Screen (much like OS X Lion pinches to Launchpad)
- Swipe up to show the multitasking bar of running apps
- Swipe left or right between open applications
Display Mirroring only works with HDMI cables and not AirPlay
For those interested in the technical details of this, here’s the source code (via ModMyi user dB) for the modification:
Thanks for sending this in Daniel
Sorry, I don’t understand the Display Mirroring part.
How can I use the source code?
i jailbreak my ipad1, everyting goes fine, i see the pineapple logo but there is NO cydia icon on the springboard. Already boot tethered 3x still nothing. any help? Thanks.
while enabling multitasking gestures, it said,”downloading jailbreak delta”
what the heck?!
anyways, will i face problems when i upgrade my iOS the next time?
[…] problems without modifications of settings, bring multitasking gestures to iPad 1 without the third party tweak, and resolve several other bugs and issues that shipped with iOS […]
[…] Enable Multi-Tasking Gestures & Display Mirroring in iOS 5 for iPad 1 Enable Multi-Tasking Gestures & Display Mirroring in iOS 5 for iPad 1… Source: osxdaily.com […]
But after using this idea,will the next update from apple for ipad work well?
Does this work with the VGA cable mirroring as well?
Yup video mirroring works but it has to be a cord I can’t do the wireless to Apple TV but I read that some people can.