OS X 10.10.4 Update Available with Bug Fixes for Wi-Fi & Networking, Photos, Mail
Apple has released OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 for Mac users, the update offers significant bug fixes and improvements to Mac OS X and is recommended for all users running OS X Yosemite to install.
One of the most notable bug fixes with OS X 10.10.4 is the removal of the ‘discoveryd’ networking process in favor of a return to ‘mDNSResponder’, which aims to improve the the performance, reliability, and stability of networking components in OS X for Wi-Fi and local networking. Additionally, OS X 10.10.4 includes updates and bug fixes for Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, and several other smaller changes as well. The complete release notes for OS X 10.10.4 are included below.
Download & Install OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 Update
Always back up the Mac with Time Machine before installing a software update.
- Go to the Apple menu and choose “App Store”
- Under the “Updates” tab locate “OS X Update 10.10.4” and choose to download and install
The Mac requires a reboot to complete the installation.
Advanced Mac users can also choose to download and install with the Combo Updaters from Apple:
Using the Combo Updater is also a good solution if your OS X 10.10.4 update freezes, crashes, or otherwise has a problem installing. As always, back up before proceeding.
OS X 10.10.4 Release Notes
The OS X Yosemite v10.10.4 update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.
• Improves networking reliability
• Improves Migration Assistant reliability
• Addresses an issue that prevented some external displays from functioning properly
• Improves the reliability of upgrading iPhoto and Aperture libraries to Photos
• Improves reliability when syncing photos and videos to iCloud Photo Library
• Addresses an issue that could cause Photos to unexpectedly quit after importing some Lecia DNG files
• Resolves an issue that could delay outgoing email messages in Mail
For enterprise customers, this update:
• Addresses an issue where OS X systems bound to directory services could stop responding under certain conditions
• Adds the ability to create mobile accounts with the createmobileaccount tool
• Fixes an issue in Profile Manager that could allow a user to install pre-release software even when the setting is disabled