MacOS Sierra 10.12.2 Update Released for Mac
Apple has released MacOS Sierra 10.12.2 update for downloading. The update aims to improve the stability and performance of Macs and is therefore recommended for users running prior versions of Sierra to install.
MacOS Sierra 10.12.2 includes various bug fixes and improvements aimed to address some of the ongoing issues with Sierra experienced by some Mac users. Additionally, MacOS Sierra 10.12.2 offers a few new desktop wallpapers, as well as many new Emoji icons, including a clown, bacon, a gorilla, cucumber, avocado, and a cowboy.
MacOS Sierra 10.12.2 also removes the “battery time remaining” indicator from Mac laptops, apparently in response to some complaints about unsatisfactory battery life on 2016 model year MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. The time remaining battery estimator has been part of Mac OS X for over 15 years, but now Mac laptop users will have no automatic battery life estimate offered by the system software after installing Mac OS 10.12.2. (Update: Here is how you can see battery time remaining in MacOS Sierra post 10.12.2 update)
How to Update MacOS Sierra 10.12.2
The easiest way for Mac users running Sierra to download the MacOS Sierra 10.12.2 update is from the App Store. Always back up a Mac before installing any system software updates.
- Go to the Apple menu and choose “App Store” then go to the “Updates” tab
- Click “Update” next to “macOS 10.12.2 Update 10.12.2”
The Mac will install the update and reboot automatically.
MacOS 10.12.2 Software Update Downloads
Mac users can also choose to download the update as a package directly from Apple, or to install the MacOS 10.12.2 Combo Update package if desired. While generally considered most appropriate for advanced users, using Combo Updates is described here and is not particularly difficult.
The regular update will move to 10.12.2 from 10.12.1, whereas the combo update will update to 10.12.2 from 10.12.1 or 10.12.0.
MacOS Sierra 10.12.2 Release Notes
Release notes accompanying the MacOS 10.12.2 update are as follows:
The macOS Sierra 10.12.2 update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.
– Improves setup and reliability of Auto Unlock
– Allows addition of a Chinese Trackpad Handwriting button to the Touch Bar Control Strip
– Adds support for taking screenshots of the Touch Bar using the Grab app or Cmd-Shift-6 shortcut
– Fixes an issue that caused the Touch Bar emoji picker to appear on the display
– Resolves graphics issues on MacBook Pro (October 2016) computers
– Fixes an issue where System Integrity Protection was disabled on some MacBook Pro (October 2016) computers
– Improves setup and opt-out experience for iCloud Desktop and Documents
– Fixes an issue with the delivery of Optimized Storage alerts
– Improves audio quality when using Siri and FaceTime with Bluetooth headphones
– Improves the stability of Photos when creating and ordering books
– Fixes an issue where incoming Mail messages did not appear when using a Microsoft Exchange account
– Fixes an issue that prevented installation of Safari Extensions downloaded outside the Safari Extensions Gallery
– Adds support for new installations of Windows 8 and Windows 7 using Boot Camp on supported Macs
Separately, iTunes 12.5.4 is available, and iPhone and iPad users can find iOS 10.2 update available to download along with WatchOS 3.1.1 for Apple Watch and a tvOS update for Apple TV.