Download iOS 12.1 Update Now [IPSW Links]
Apple has released iOS 12.1 for iPhone and iPad. The first major update to iOS 12 includes various new features, bug fixes, and enhancements to the iOS operating system, making it recommended for all iPhone and iPad users running a prior build of iOS 12.
iOS 12.1 includes group FaceTime support for video chat with up to 32 participants, as well as over 70 new Emoji icons including a lobster, mosquito, kangaroo, bagel, head of lettuce, and various peoples and new hair styles. iOS 12.1 also brings real-time Depth Control to the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR cameras, and support for dual-sim cards on those devices as well.
Separately, Apple has also released macOS Mojave 10.14.1, tvOS 12.1, and watchOS 5.1.
How to Update to iOS 12.1
Be sure to backup your iPhone or iPad before updating any system software, the simplest way to backup an iOS device is to iCloud, or you can use iTunes with a computer. The simplest way to update to iOS 12.1 is through the Software Update mechanism in Settings app:
- Open the “Settings” app and go to “General” and then to “Software Update”
- Choose “Download and Install” when iOS 12.1 shows as available
iOS 12.1 will download and install, rebooting itself to complete the process. When finished, the device will boot back up again as normal.
iPhone and iPad users can also choose to update their devices to iOS 12.1 by using iTunes and a computer, or by using IPSW firmware files linked further below.
iOS 12.1 IPSW Firmware File Download Links
The links below point to .ipsw firmware files on Apple servers, right-click and “Save As” for best results.
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
- iPad Pro 11-inch fall 2018 model
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch 1st generation
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch 2nd generation
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch 3rd generation fall 2018 model
- iPad Pro 9.7‑inch
- iPad 5 9.7-inch 2017 model
- iPad 6 9.7-inch 2018 model
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air 1
- iPad mini 4
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 2
- iPod touch 6th generation
Using IPSW to update iOS is considered advanced, though it’s not particularly complex, it does require getting the properly matching firmware file along with the usage of iTunes and a USB cable.
iOS 12.1 Release Notes
Release notes accompanying the iOS 12.1 download are as follows:
iOS 12.1 introduces Group FaceTime, adds over 70 new emoji, and includes support for Dual SIM with eSIM for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.
Adds support for video and audio calls with up to 32 participants simultaneously
Encrypted end-to-end so your conversations remain private
Start Group FaceTime right from a group Messages conversation, or join an active call at any time
Over 70 new emoji, including new characters with red hair, gray hair and curly hair, new emoji for bald people, more emotive smiley faces and additional emoji representing animals, sports and food
Dual SIM support
Introduces Dual SIM with eSIM which allows two numbers in one device for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR
Other improvements and fixes
– Introduces Depth Control in Camera preview for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR
– Improves cellular connectivity for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR
– Adds the ability to change or reset your child’s Screen Time passcode using Face ID or Touch ID
– Fixes an issue where the sharpest reference frame was not always selected in front-facing photos for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR
– Resolves an issue that caused messages to be merged into one thread when two users were signed in with the same Apple ID on multiple iPhones
– Addresses an issue that prevented some voicemails from appearing in the Phone app
– Resolves an issue in the Phone app that could cause phone numbers to appear without their corresponding contact name
– Fixes an issue that could prevent Screen Time from reporting specific websites in the activity report
– Addresses an issue that could prevent adding or removing family members from Family Sharing
– Adds a performance management feature to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down, including the option to disable this feature if an unexpected shutdown occurs, for iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
– Adds the ability for Battery Health to inform users that it is unable to verify if a genuine Apple battery is in iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR
– Improves reliability of VoiceOver in Camera, Siri, and Safari
– Fixes an issue that could cause MDM Device Enrollment to report an Invalid Profile error for some enterprise users
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
Separately, Apple has also released system software updates for many of their other products, including tvOS 12.1 for Apple TV, watchOS 5.1 for Apple Watch, and macOS Mojave 10.14.1 for Mac users running MacOS Mojave, and security updates for macOS High Sierra and Sierra..
After install (over-air), the settings has a “1” notification ball on it. Why?
Did they also release watchOS 5.1? I’m wondering if it includes the new ECG feature for the apple watch series 4. Nobody has said a word about watchOS 5.1 today.
Yes watchOS 5.1 is out for Apple Watch, you should be able to find the update in the paired iPhones Apple Watch app. But there are a fair amount of user reports online saying it can brick an Apple Watch, so holding off for a bit might be wise since they are not really user-serviceable if there is a major issue like that.
Presumably if there’s a minor bug or issue it will be fixed and re-released. It could just be random too, sometimes a small group of users experience problems with various software updates.
“Unfortunately, according to the release notes for watchOS 5.1, the much-anticipated ECG app may not yet be available to users in the United States.”