iOS 12.4 Update for iPhone & iPad Available to Download [IPSW Links]
Apple has released iOS 12.4 for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. The latest version of iOS system software focuses mostly on bug fixes and improvements and is therefore recommended for all users to download and install. There is also the inclusion of a migration feature for wirelessly transferring data from an old iPhone to a new iPhone during setup.
Separately, Apple also released iOS 9.3.6 and iOS 10.3.4 for older model iPad and iPhones, and Mac users can download MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 update or Security Update 2019-004 for Sierra and High Sierra depending on which system version they are running. Additionally, new updates to watchOS 5.3 and tvOS 12.4 are available for Apple Watch and Apple TV users.
How to Download & Install iOS 12.4 Update
Be sure to backup to iCloud or iTunes, or both, before installing any iOS system software update.
- Open the “Settings” app on iPhone or iPad, then go to “General” and to “Software Update”
- When “iOS 12.4” is shown as available, choose to “Download & Install”
The update will automatically reboot the iPhone or iPad to complete installation.
Another option is to update to iOS 12.4 using iTunes and a computer. Simply connect the iPhone or iPad to a Mac or Windows PC running the latest version of iTunes and install the iOS 12.4 update when it is shown as available.
Note that if you are currently running an iOS 13 or iPadOS 13 beta release you will not see the iOS 12.4 update available on your device.
iOS 12.4 IPSW Download Links
Advanced users can also choose to download firmware files directly from Apple using the links below, then use the IPSW file to update iOS manually. This is not necessary nor recommended for most users.
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- Phone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
- iPad Pro 11-inch – 2018 model
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch 1st generation
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch 2nd generation
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch 3rd generation – 2018 model
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7‑inch
- iPad 5 9.7-inch – 2017
- iPad 6 9.7-inch – 2018
- iPad Air 3 – 2019 model
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air 1
- iPad mini 5 – 2019 model
- iPad mini 4
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 2
- iPod touch 6th generation
- iPod touch 7th generation – 2019 model
iOS 12.4 Release Notes
Release notes accompanying the download of iOS 12.4 are as follows:
iOS 12.4 introduces iPhone migration to directly transfer data from an old iPhone to a new iPhone, includes enhancements to Apple News+ and improves the security of your iPhone or iPad. This update:
– Introduces the ability to wirelessly transfer data and migrate directly from an old iPhone to a new iPhone during setup
– Makes downloaded issues accessible in the My Magazines section, both offline and online
– Adds all publications in Apple News+, including newspapers, to the catalog at the top of the News+ feed
– Adds the ability to clear downloaded magazine issues by selecting History > Clear > Clear All
Other improvements and fixes
– Includes a security fix for the Walkie-Talkie app on Apple Watch and re-enables Walkie-Talkie functionality
This release also includes support for HomePod in Japan and Taiwan.
Additionally, macOS Mojave 10.14.6 update, Security-Update 2019-004 for High Sierra and Sierra, tvOS 12.4, watchOS 5.3, and a HomePod update are available for respective Apple devices.