How to Connect Xbox One Controller to Apple TV
Want to use a wireless Xbox controller with Apple TV? The Xbox One controllers are great for gaming, and so if you play games or Apple Arcade on Apple TV you might be interested in connecting a wireless Xbox controller to Apple TV to improve the experience.
In order to use an Xbox controller with Apple TV, you will need a Xbox One S wireless controller along with an Apple TV with tvOS 13 or later running on it. Earlier models and versions of both devices do not work together.
How to Use Xbox Controller with Apple TV
Here is how you can connect a wireless Xbox Controller to Apple TV:
- Turn on the Apple TV if you have not done so already
- Press the Xbox button to power on the Xbox wireless controller
- Press and hold the Connect button on Xbox controller for several seconds
- Open the “Settings” app on Apple TV, then choose “Remotes and Devices” and go to “Bluetooth”
- Select the Xbox controller from the available bluetooth devices to pair it with the Apple TV
Once the Xbox wireless controller is paired with Apple TV, it’s ready to be used in gameplay just like any other controller.
All of the gameplay buttons work with Xbox controller and Apple TV, though you may find some of the feedback and sound features do not. If
The process of setting up and using an Xbox controller with Apple TV is pretty easy as you can see, and it’s certainly much simpler than using an Xbox One controller with Mac that requires an enabler tool described here. Similarly, the latest Xbox One S controllers can be connected to iPhone and iPad for gaming on those devices too.
Note that you must use the latest Xbox One wireless controllers, as earlier Xbox One controllers do not appear to work for whatever reason. If you have a different experience, or know of a way to get earlier and older Xbox controllers working with Apple TV as well, then share that with us in the comments below.
For what it’s worth, it’s not just the Apple TV that can use Xbox One controllers now, and you can also use Xbox One wireless controllers with iPhone or iPad too, so long as they are running a modern iOS or IpadOS release.
Do you use a gaming controller with Apple TV? What do you think of the experience? Let us know in the comments below!
* This post contains affiliate links to Amazon, meaning shopping through that Amazon link helps support to support site by offering a small commission on shopping.