New iPad Air, iPad, & Apple Watches Released
Apple has released an all new iPad Air, new base model iPad 8th generation, Apple Watch Series 6, and Apple Watch SE at an online event today. They also released iOS 14 GM and iPadOS 14 GM with the final versions set to be available to the general public tomorrow September 16.
While you can get plenty more about the new iPad and Apple Watch models over at https://www.apple.com, we’ll give a brief overview below of the devices and their new features.
iPad Air 10.9″
The all new iPad Air has been redesigned to have a larger screen, slimmer bezels, a faster processor, and many features that are otherwise similar to what you’d see on the iPad Pro models.
- All new design with slimmer bezels, looks similar to iPad Pro
- Touch ID in the power button (no Face ID)
- A14 processor
- 10.9″ Retina display with True Tone
- USB-C port instead of lightning
- 12 megapixel rear camera, 7 megapixel front camera
- Available in silver, space gray, rose gold, green, and blue
- Compatible with Apple Pencil 2nd gen and Magic Keyboard
- Starts at $599
iPad 8th generation
The new 8th generation base model iPad includes a faster processor with better graphics performance, making it a nice step-up from prior models.
- 10.2″ Retina display
- A12 processor
- Support for Apple Pencil 1st gen and Smart Keyboard
- Starts at $329
Apple Watch Series 6
The all new Apple Watch Series 6 includes a blood oxygen monitor, new colors, a brighter display, and more. Here are some brief specs for the new Apple Watch:
- Blood oxygen monitoring (Sp02)
- Dual core processor, 20% faster than prior gen
- 2.5x brighter always-on display
- Always-on altimeter
- New color options including blue aluminum, graphite stainless steel, gold stainless steel, and red
- New watch faces including a tachymeter, Memoji, pride, stripes, Count Up, and more
- Starts at $399
And of course all the prior generation features of Apple Watch are included as well, including ECG, fitness and activity tracking, sleep tracking, fall detection, water resistance, irregular heart rhythm notifications, and much more.
Apple Watch SE
The new lower-cost Apple Watch SE is similar in design to Apple Watch Series 6, but does not include the always-on display, nor does it include health features like blood oxygen tracking and ECG capabilities. Nonetheless, Apple Watch SE is still quite a contender and for those who don’t need some of the higher-tech health features. Here’s a brief overview of what Apple Watch SE offers:
- Fall detection
- Emergency SOS
- Water resistance
- Irregular heart rhythm notifications
- Available in aluminum in grey, silver, and gold at 40mm and 44mm sizes
- Starts at $279
Each of the new Apple Watch and iPad models will come preinstalled with the latest watchOS 7 and iPadOS 14 releases.