How to Reset a Forgotten iCloud Password from Mac
Are you a Mac user and you forget your iCloud password, thereby losing access to your Apple ID account? There’s no need to panic, because you can easily reset your iCloud password right from your macOS system within a matter of seconds.
Given the importance of an iCloud / Apple ID account, and how it grants access to all of the Apple ecosystem online, like iCloud, App Store, Music, and more, you’ll want to be sure you have access to your iCloud credentials.
If you’re interested in resetting a forgotten iCloud password from a Mac, then read on. For what it’s worth, you can also reset a forgotten iCloud password from iPhone or iPad, or the web too.
How to Reset a Forgotten iCloud Password on Mac
Before you go ahead with the following procedure, really that in order to use your Mac to reset the iCloud password you just have two-factor authentication enabled on your Apple account.
- Head over to “System Preferences” on your Mac from the Apple menu or Dock.
- This will open a new window on your screen. Click on “Apple ID” located at the top, to proceed further.
- You’ll be taken to the iCloud section. Here, click on “Password & Security” in the left pane.
- Now, just click on the “Change password” option located right below your Apple ID email address.
- You’ll be prompted to enter your Mac’s user password to continue. Type in your password and click on “Allow”.
- Now, simply type in your new password in both the fields and click on “Change” to reset the password.
There you go. Now you’ve learned how you can use your Mac to quickly reset your iCloud password.
If this option isn’t available it’s likely because you don’t have two-factor authentication enabled.
Remember you can also perform password reset from iPhone or iPad, and iCloud on the web too.
Did you regain access to your iCloud account and Apple ID using this method? Did you use another approach instead? Let us know in the comments what worked for you.
How can I “change password” if I can’t remember original password? Meaning I followed your steps but when I get to “change password” I can’t proceed because there’s no “forgot password” to click on. How do I set a new password for iMac if I don’t know the old password? thanks!
How to reset the password in iTunes for encrypted backups ? If you forgot it, it is for ever…
Yesterday, the CDN was not responsive, so this web site was not responsive.
You can create a new backup of a new iTunes encrypted backup, or you can see if the password is saved in Keychain. Beyond that if the password for the encrypted backup is lost, then the data becomes irretrievable, as is typical with encrypted data.
What’s the CDN issue?
The big missing : how to reset a password in Tunes for encrypted backup ? Yes, if you forget it, it’s forever. Impossible ti change it…