Change the Mac OS X Dock from 3D to 2D

Dec 24, 2007 - 7 Comments

The appearance of the new Dock in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard has caused somewhat of an uproar in the Mac community, some of whom even claim it looks like it belongs in Windows Vista. If you’re totally insulted by the new 3D dock, or if you just prefer the old Dock appearance, it’s very easy to change and you don’t need to be a super Mac genius to figure it out. Simply launch your terminal and type the following commands:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

then you will want to kill the Dock to relaunch it without the glass effect:
killall Dock

to get the reflective 3D Dock back, simply type the following:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO

again, you will want to kill the Dock to relaunch it. Enjoy!

Posted by: William Pearson in 10.5, Command Line, Customize, Leopard, Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Dar Al Salam says:

i like the 3d dock , looks a bit modern to me

2. Dirk says:

Oh, THANK YOU. I just fired up my new iMac, and as soon as I saw the left and right dock appearance, I wanted it on the bottom, too. I had to have it! Now I can see what apps are running without squinting.

3. macmedia says:

COOL!! This is so much better!
    I hated the leopard dock in that I could never see easily what programs were open.

4. Gooie Green says:

I never really noticed the different… in fact, I welcomed it! Looks a lot nicer.

But then again, I never really notice such things, given I rock a left-side dock.

5. […] use at your own risk, but here’s a link that might help (refers to leopard, but might work in SL) Change the 10.5 Leopard Dock from 3D to 2D – OS X Daily __________________ My Macs: Early 2008 8 core 2.8GHz 8gig ram Mac Pro; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, […]

6. Lozil says:

Just made a simple script to toggle between 2D and 3D dock, You can find it at my blog http://lozil.blogspot.com/2009/09/dock-switcher-for-leopard.html

7. lucas says: