Create a New Folder Containing Selected Items in Mac OS X

Aug 7, 2011 - 11 Comments

New folder from selected items in Mac OS X Lion

You can now select any number of files from the Mac OS X desktop or a folder and create a new folder containing those selected items:

• Select files you want to create a new folder containing
  • Right-click on one of the selected files and choose “New Folder with Selection (x items)”

You can also select the items and go from the “File” menu in the Finder to the same “New Folder with Selection” option, but right-clicking is quicker. There’s supposed to be a keyboard shortcut to do this too, Control+Command+N, but it doesn’t seem to work on any of the Macs I’ve tested, give it a try and maybe it will work for you.

This alongside the ability to cut and paste files finally in Mac OS X are two of the more subtle but useful enhancements to the file system that arrived in more recent versions of OS X, from Lion to Mavericks onward.

Posted by: William Pearson in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks

1. Mig says:

Control+Command+N worked for me. It created a folder named “New Folder With Items.”

Command+Z put everything back with no changes.

Nice tip, thanks.

• Jones says:

For those who can’t get the shortcut to work:
      When it didn’t work for me I found that the shortcut was occupied by Evernote. I uninstalled Evernote (as I didn’t used it anyway) and the shortcut worked right away.
      So, if it’s not working, it’s probably because some other program has overruled the shortcut.

Thanks for the tip!

2. cee202 says:

Control+Command+N worked for me. great advice, thanks!

3. MizuInOz says:

Sweet! This is becoming one of my favourite sites. Great tips and tricks. Control+Command+n worked for me just great. (MBA 13″ 2010 pre-Lion) Thanks and Cheers!

4. Chris says:

Indeed, I bookmarked your site as well. Keep up the good work!

5. Sue Dunham says:

Works too well. Did it without askin anything like where or if.

6. […] OSXDaily Tags: 用所选项目新建文件夹 Comments RSS […]

7. John Doe says:

I had it works earlier, 15 minutes ago, but not anymore. All the files I was working on were stored on an external hard drive. I was able to create ‘new folder with selected files’ feature. But now, that feature is disable when I work on another set of files. why?

8. Roy says:

It works, on my MBP 2012 retina

9. Olga Shipilo says:

Hey guys! While this is a new function I learned it hard way. I selected some files and right clicked on them. For some reason computer paused and I wasn’t aware that I was pressing New Folder containing selected items. Next thing I know, a bunch of files in my dropbox, documents, images, music, movies were gone. I found them all in one folder (still dont know how that happened because i was only selecting some images in a specific folder in dropbox). Now the problem is how to move all these files back to corresponding folders?

Please help!

10. Deniz says:

Hi,

Same problem here with Olga! All my files on my mac (in documents, photos, etc) is now in a folder named “New Folder with Items”. I have searched for it and I learned about this function. Apparently I have selected all my files and used this function by mistake. Now even I put my files to their proper places manaully, all are automatically goes back to this “New Folder with Items”. How can I undo this process? Please help. Thank you.