iPhone iOS 4.2 Jailbreak & Unlock Notes
Update 12/1/2010: iOS 4.2 download has been released and you can now unlock and jailbreak the iPhone on iOS 4.2 by downloading redsn0w 0.9.6b5. This is either a tethered or untethered jailbreak depending on your iPhone.
With the release of iOS 4.2 imminent, the iPhone Dev Team has posted an update regarding the status of jailbreaking and unlocking the new version of iOS.
The message is this: if you want to unlock or jailbreak your iPhone you should avoid the iOS 4.2 update until the Dev Team has sorted through the release.
Here’s the takeaway from the Dev Team blog post:
- All devices on all iOS firmware can be jailbroken
- Jailbreakers should wait to update to iOS 4.2 until there are new releases of Cydia, PwnageTool, etc
- Unlocked iPhone owners should not update initially, stay where you are to preserve unlock
- NOT all iOS firmware on all devices are capable of being unlocked
- There are currently no unlocks for iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2, but it’s being worked on
- iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS will have an unlock available first, but avoid the iOS 4.2 update initially until the Dev Team clears the release.
We do know that redsn0w is capable of jailbreaking iOS 4.2 if the 4.1 IPSW file is used, but unless you are committed to being on the bleeding edge, it’s best to wait for further instructions from the jailbreak community.
In the meantime, iPhone unlockers can save their SHSH blobs to be safe.
You can read the notes from the Dev Team here, scroll down to “Update 2” since it’s just an old post that has been edited.
The 4.2 unlock is going to be based on 4.1 firmware (this is why the unlock was never released for 4.1, to preserve for 4.2 so Apple can not patch it)