iPhone 6S & iPhone 6S Plus Released, Pre-Orders on September 12
Apple has released the new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus with significantly revamped internal hardware, an all new 3D touch interaction model, notably impressive camera features, and a new pink rose gold color.
Like the prior models, the new iPhones are available in 4.7″ and 5.5″ displays and share enclosures that otherwise mostly look the same from the outside, but that’s about where similarities end as the internal components are dramatically improved.
iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus specs are as follows:
- A9 CPU with M9 motion coprocessor
- 3D Touch and new interaction models in iOS (3D Touch appears to be the renamed Force Touch)
- 7000 series aluminum is stronger than prior aluminum
- 2nd generation faster Touch ID
- LTE Advanced and faster Wi-Fi
- 12MP rear iSight Camera
- 4K Video recording
- 5MP FaceTime HD front camera with screen flash
- Live photos, photos are kind of like mini-movies now
- 16GB, 64GB, and 128GB models available
- Silver, gold, space gray, and new rose gold color
- Optional docking stations in matching aluminum colors
Pricing for iPhone 6S starts at $199 for a 16GB model, $299 for 64GB, $399 for 128GB, each with a 2-year contract, and generally follows the standard pricing models Apple has had for the iPhone line. The iPhone 6S Plus is $100 more for each size with the same two year contract.
Apple has also announced a new iPhone Upgrade Program for select countries, which for a monthly fee allows users to upgrade their iPhone every year on schedule with a new two year contract.
The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will stick around at a discounted price point, but if you’re looking to get a new iPhone, the new iPhone 6S series is so much better it’s certainly worth paying the extra $100 for.
The iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus will be available to pre-order starting September 12th, with a release date of September 25.
The first commercial for iPhone 6S demonstrates the new features well: