iOS 10.1 Update Available with Bug Fixes & Portrait Camera
Apple has released iOS 10.1 for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. The latest version of iOS includes bug fixes and enhancements, but the most prominent feature is the inclusion of a Portrait camera mode ability for iPhone 7 Plus users.
Additionally, Apple has released a bug fix update for Apple Watch and Apple TV, versioned as watchOS 3.1 and tvOS 10.0.1 respectively. Mac users will also find a Sierra update available, versioned as macOS 10.12.1.
Update to iOS 10.1
All eligible devices can download and install iOS 10.1 update now, the easiest way to do so is through the Software Update mechanism in device Settings:
- Back up the device to iCloud or iTunes, or both
- Open the Settings app and go to “General” and “Software Update”
- Choose “Download & Install” on the iOS 10.1 update
Users can also update via iTunes and a computer, either directly with iTunes update or with IPSW links below. Either way be sure to backup the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch before beginning.
iOS 10.1 IPSW Download Links
Advanced users can also update to iOS 10.1 using IPSW firmware files, right-click and choose “Download as” and be sure the file is saved with an IPSW extension.
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 5c
- 12.9 inch iPad Pro
- 9.7 inch iPad Pro
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air
- iPad 4
- iPad Mini 4
- iPad Mini 3
- iPad Mini 2
- iPod touch 6th gen
iOS 10.1 Release Notes
Camera and Photos
- Introduces Portrait Camera for iPhone 7 Plus that creates a depth effect that keeps your subject sharp while creating a beautifully blurred background (beta)
- People names in the Photos app are saved in iCloud backups
- Fixes an issue where opening the Camera app would show a blurred or flashing screen for some users
- Fixes an issue that caused Photos to quit for some users when turning on iCloud Photo Library
- Improved the display of wide color gamut photos in the grid views of the Photos app
- Transit support for every major train, subway, ferry, and national bus line, as well as local bus systems for Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya
- Sign-based transit navigation including layouts of all underground structures and walkways that connect large transit stations
- Transit fare comparison when viewing alternative transit routes
- New option to replay bubble and full screen effects
- Messages effects can play with Reduce Motion enabled
- Fixes an issue that could lead to contact names appearing incorrectly in Messages
- Addresses an issue where Messages could open to a white screen
- Addresses an issue that could prevent the report junk option from displaying with unknown senders
- Fixes an issue where videos captured and sent in the Messages app could be missing audio
- Adds distance and average pace to workout summaries in the Activity app for outdoor wheelchair run pace and outdoor wheelchair walk pace
- Fixes issues that may have prevented Music playlists from syncing to Apple Watch
- Addresses an issue that was preventing invitations and data to appear in Activity Sharing
- Fixes an issue that was allowing Activity Sharing to update over cellular when manually disabled
- Resolves an issue that was causing some third-party apps to crash when inputting text
Other improvements and fixes
- Improves Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party accessories
- Improves AirPlay Mirroring performance when waking a device from sleep
- Fixes an issue where playback would not work for iTunes purchased content when the “Show iTunes Purchases” setting is turned off
- Fixes an issue where certain selfie apps and face filters used with the FaceTime HD Camera on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus did not display a live preview
- Fixes an issue in Health where individual strokes are converted to separate characters when using the Chinese handwriting keyboard
- Improves performance of sharing websites from Safari to Messages
- Fixes an issue in Safari that caused web previews in tab view to not display correctly
- Fixes an issue that caused certain Mail messages to be reformatted with very small text
- Fixes an issue that caused some HTML email to be formatted incorrectly
- Fixes an issue that in some cases caused the search field to disappear in Mail
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Today View Widgets from updating when launched
- Fixes an issue where Weather widget sometimes failed to load data
- Fixes an issue on iPhone 7 where Home Button click settings would not appear in search results
- Fixes an issue that prevented spam alert extensions from blocking calls
- Resolves an issue that could prevent alarm sounds from going off
- Fixes an issue where audio playback via Bluetooth would cause the Taptic engine to stop providing feedback for some users
- Resolves an issue preventing some users from restoring from iCloud Backup
Separately, Apple has also released macOS Sierra 10.12.1 for Macs, tvOS 10.0.1 for Apple TV, and watchOS 3.1 for Apple Watch.
I have the same problem.. My camera stopped working after doing the newest update…
Last but not least, can’t take a selfie.. 10.1 update..
Also magnifiers will appear black screen and when press capture botton it will bring me to home screen..did anyone experience the same issue?..
My camera malfunction after update to 10.1
Am a little leery about installing anything without first researching and then making the decision of install or no install. The present 10.0.3 ( I think it is) is slower and less responsive than its previous IOS. 10 installed itself without my permission and is very slow.
You must have accidentally given your permission for the iOS update. While it may have downloaded by itself, it could not have installed on its own without user intervention. Every iOS update requires the four or six digit device passcode to be entered before installing, as well as accepting Apple’s agreement.
I’ll say it: They’re updating “Maps” which no one uses, but not Pages?
with this update i’ve lost all log on healt and it don’t log anything.. please fix it!! i’ve try to restore my phone but the bug resist
I seem to have lost my update all button on my mac which is running Sierra, any suggestions? I have rebooted and still nothing. I have three updates showing but none is the new Sierra version. Thanks.
This is iOS 10.1, it is not Sierra. Maybe reboot your iPad.
Is a fix to restore “trash all” to mail on the works?
I find the iPad Air 2 version only is iPad 5,4, not support iPad Air 2 WiFi version on Apple Configurator.
Problem solved. Suddenly update shows 10.1 available, so i think very busy Apple servers.
I have the same problem as John Ferman, but there is no IOS 10 in Settings > General > Icloud and usage?!
My iPad Air 2 shows an install option for iOS 10 which must be 10.0 with all its bugs. Is thrre a way of going to 10.1 first.
My iPad Air 2 shows an iOS 10 install option but it does not show which version. It does not say 10.1 directly. Any way of bypassing 10.0 and go to 10.1 directly?
Yes if you go to Settings > General > Usage and delete the iOS 10 update, the iOS 10.1 update will download instead.
Sorry, I disagree. 10.1 is quick minor update to the completely new OS that is 10.0. Definitely need to install 10.0 first, and a person is well advised to do some reading about it first.
No, that is not true, anyone still running iOS 9.x can jump directly to 10.1 if desired. The iOS 10.1 update is minor for those of us who already have 10.0 but it will also include the iOS 10.0 update features for anybody upgrading directly from iOS 9.