iOS 12.3.1 Update for iPhone & iPad Released [IPSW Download Links]
Apple has released iOS 12.3.1 as a bug fix software update for iPhone and iPad, with no major features or changes to be expected.
The iOS 12.3.1 software update does include a few helpful bug fixes, specifically aimed at resolving an issue with making and receiving VoLTE phone calls on iPhone, fixing a problem where unknown Messages senders would not be filtered if the unknown sender filtering feature were enabled, and resolves an issue where the Report Junk / spam iMessage button was missing from some Messages. The full release notes accompanying the download of this update are included below.
How to Download & Install iOS 12.3.1 on iPhone or iPad
The simplest way to update to iOS 12.3.1 on iPhone or iPad is using Software Update in the Settings app. Be sure to backup the iPhone or iPad to iCloud or iTunes before starting the software update procedure.
- Open the “Settings” app on the iPhone or iPad
- Go to “General” and then go to “Software Update”
- Select “Download & Install” when iOS 12.3.1 update is available
Users can also choose to download and install iOS 12.3.1 through iTunes by connecting an iPhone or iPad to a computer and updating the software that way.
iOS 12.3.1 IPSW Firmware Download Links
Another option is to use IPSW firmware files for installing iOS updates, though this is generally considered advanced and is not appropriate for most users. The iOS IPSW firmware files come directly from Apple servers:
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s GSM
- iPhone 5s CDMA
- iPad Pro 11-inch – 2018
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch 1st generation
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch 2nd generation
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch – 2018 model – 3rd generation
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7‑inch
- iPad 5 9.7-inch 2017 model
- iPad 6 9.7-inch 2018 model
- iPad Air 3 2019 model
- iPad Air 2
- iPad mini 5 2019 model
- iPad mini 4
- iPad mini 3
- iPad Air 1
- iPad mini 2
- iPod touch 6th generation
iOS 12.3.1 Release Notes
The release notes accompanying the iOS 12.3.1 download are as follows:
iOS 12.3.1 includes bug fixes for your iPhone and iPad. This update:
– Fixes an issue that could prevent making or receiving VoLTE calls
– Fixes issues in Messages that could cause messages from unknown senders to appear in your conversation list even though Filter Unknown Senders is enabled
– Fixes an issue that could prevent the Report Junk link from appearing in Messages threads from unknown senders
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
VoLTE stands for Voice Over LTE, which is basically the ability to make voice phone calls on an LTE network. Considering that an VoLTE phone call resolution is mentioned in the bug fixes it is possible that iOS 12.3.1 may resolve any lingering calling difficulties or “No Service” issues after recent iOS 12 updates that a small number of users have continued to report.
For those following the software update schedule, iOS 12.3.1 was released without any beta testing period. Meanwhile, iOS 12.4 remains in active beta testing, along with macOS 10.14.6.
The most recently available stable build of Mac system software is macOS Mojave 10.14.5.