How to Put iPhone 7 Plus & iPhone 7 into Recovery Mode
Knowing how to put an iPhone 7 Plus or iPhone 7 into Recovery Mode can be valuable knowledge, as it is sometimes necessary for troubleshooting purposes.
Typically the need to use Recovery Mode is limited to troubleshooting some more unusual scenarios like when a device is completely stuck on an Apple logo, or if the screen shows a “Connect to iTunes” screen, but it can be used sometimes for downgrading of iOS versions too.
This tutorial will demonstrate you how to enter Recovery Mode on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. This guide also applies to putting iPod touch (7th generation) into Recovery Mode too.
How to Enter Recovery Mode on iPhone 7 Plus & iPhone 7
Be sure you have a backup of iPhone before entering recovery mode, failure to do so may result in permanent data loss.
- Press and hold the Side Power button on the iPhone until you see the slide-to-power off screen
- Drag the slider to turn off the iPhone
- Hold down the Volume Down button while connecting the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable
- Continue holding Volume Down button until you see the Recovery Mode screen as you open iTunes on the computer (Mac or Windows, or in macOS Catalina open Finder)
- iTunes (or Finder) will detect the iPhone in Recovery Mode
After the iPhone is successfully detected and in Recovery Mode, it can be restored with iTunes (or Mac Finder in 10.15+), or updated.
You can also use IPSW files if needed after an iPhone is in recovery mode.
It’s important to note that putting the iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 7 into recovery mode is a different process from using Recovery Mode on prior iPhone models, and also from using Recovery Mode on later models. So if you’re accustomed to one method, recall that it can be a unique procedure depending on the actual iPhone model itself.
If you need to put another iPhone device into recovery mode, use one of these sets of instructions below:
- How to enter Recovery Mode on iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone X
- Recovery Mode for iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone 8
- How to enter Recovery Mode on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, and earlier
- How to enter Recovery Mode on iPad Pro 11″ and iPad Pro 12.9″ (2018 and newer)
- How to put an iPad Air, iPad, iPad mini in Recovery Mode