How to Make WhatsApp Video or Voice Calls on Mac & PC
A lot of WhatsApp users make use of the desktop client to stay connected and respond to text messages while they’re using their computers. And the latest versions of WhatsApp can also make video calls and voice calls as well, right from a Mac or Windows PC by using the desktop app.
Video calling is considered as an essential feature nowadays as a lot of people use it for organizing classes, online meetings, family gatherings, and more. Sure, it’s super convenient to make video calls on your iPhone using WhatsApp, but in a professional work environment, you’d ideally want to use a fixed webcam that’s connected to your computer. Most social networking apps allow users to make video calls on the desktop, and now WhatsApp includes the capability as well.
If you’re interested in making WhatsApp voice and video calls from a Windows PC or MacOS computer, read along!
How to Make WhatsApp Video Calls via Mac or PC
The voice and video calling options are only available in the desktop app and not the WhatsApp web client. So, make sure you’ve installed WhatsApp Desktop on your PC or Mac first before you go ahead with these steps:
- Launch WhatsApp desktop on your computer, link your account using your phone and set up the client.
- Once you’re in the app, select the message thread or open a new chat and then click on the video or phone icon at the top of the chat.
- This will bring up a tiny call interface at the top-right corner of your screen. Here, you’ll see the progress of your call and options to mute your mic, end the call, and even switch between voice and video. To access even more options, you can click on the triple-dot icon.
- Now, you’ll have the options to change the microphone and webcam used by WhatsApp which can be helpful if you have multiple peripherals connected to your computer.
- As for group calls, you cannot do that directly in WhatsApp. However, you’ll be prompted to create a Messenger Room instead. To get started with this, click on the triple-dot icon in the main menu of the app located right above the search bar.
- Now, choose the “Create a room” option from the context menu to continue.
- When you get the prompt, click on “Continue in Messenger” which will open up a web page in your browser. Log in with your Facebook account and you’ll be able to set up a Messenger Room. You can learn about creating Messenger Rooms right here.
That’s pretty much all there is to it. Pretty straightforward, isn’t it? This is the same regardless of whether you’re on a Mac or Windows PC.
You no longer need to resort to other services like FaceTime, Zoom, Skype, etc. just to make video calls and organize meetings on your computer. Considering tons of people use WhatsApp already, this might be the easiest way to stay connected through video calling.
Apart from being able to make phone calls, you’ll be able to convenient accept all your WhatsApp calls using your computer. From now on, whenever you’re working on your laptop or desktop PC, you don’t have to go grab your iPhone every time you get a WhatsApp phone call.
Of course, if you aren’t impressed with the interface or you have privacy concerns, you have other popular options with multi-platform support too, like Telegram for example. Just like WhatsApp, Telegram offers a desktop app which you can use to make video and voice calls too. Signal Messenger is yet another great option for privacy buffs, but you can also make video calls with WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Skype, and of course FaceTime too.
Hopefully, you’re able to get a hang of WhatsApp’s desktop call interface pretty quickly. What’s your favorite thing about the desktop app? Were you using WhatsApp Web until now? Feel free to share your impressions with us and don’t forget to drop your valuable feedback in the comments section down below.