iOS 17.2 Update for iPhone Released with Journal app, PDF Autofill, Messages Catch-up, etc
iOS 17.2 update for iPhone, and iPadOS 17.2 for iPad, have been released by Apple. iOS 17.2 includes the Journal app for iPhone, while both iOS 17.2 and iPadOS 17.2 include PDF autofill capabilities, some improvements to Messages app like the ability to add stickers from contextual menus in messages and a catch-up arrow, new weather widgets, and other smaller changes. Full release notes are included below.
Separately, Apple has released macOS Sonoma 14.2 for Mac, watchOS 10.2 for Apple Watch, tvOS 17.2 for Apple TV, and iOS/iPadOS 16.7.3 updates for older iPhone and iPad models, and macOS Ventura 13.6.3 and macOS Monterey 12.7.2 for older Macs.
How to Download & Install iOS 17.2 & iPadOS 17.2 Updates
iPhone and iPad users can download the latest software updates for their devices by doing the following:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad
- Go to “General”
- Select “Software Update”
- Choose “Update Now” when you see iOS 17.2 or iPadOS 17.2 available to download
Installing the software updates will require the iPhone or iPad to restart to complete installation.
Users can also choose to update to iOS 17.2 and iPadOS 17.2 through the Finder on a Mac, or with a Windows PC.
Advanced users can update manually by using IPSW firmware files, linked below from Apple servers.
iOS 17.2 IPSW Download Links
iPadOS 17.2 IPSW Download Links
iOS 17.2 Release Notes
Release notes for iOS 17.2 mention new features and bug fixes. Note that Journal app is currently iPhone only and is not available for iPad:
This update introduces Journal, an all-new way to reflect on life’s moments and preserve your memories. This release also includes Action button and Camera enhancements, as well as other features, bug fixes, and security updates for your iPhone.
– Journal is a new app that lets you write about the small moments and big events in your life so you can practice gratitude and improve your wellbeing
– Journaling suggestions make it easy to remember your experiences by intelligently grouping your outings, photos, workouts, and more into moments you can add to your journal
– Filters let you quickly find bookmarked entries or show entries with attachments so you can revisit and reflect on key moments in your life
– Scheduled notifications help you keep a consistent journaling practice by reminding you to write on the days and time you choose
– Option to lock your journal using Touch ID or Face ID
iCloud sync keeps your journal entries safe and encrypted on iCloud
– Translate option for the Action button on iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max to quickly translate phrases or have a conversation with someone in another language
– Spatial video lets you capture video on iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max so you can relive your memories in three dimensions on Apple Vision Pro
– Improved Telephoto camera focusing speed when capturing small faraway objects on iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max
– Catch-up arrow lets you easily jump to your first unread message in a conversation by tapping the arrow visible in the top-right corner
– Add sticker option in the context menu lets you add a sticker directly to a bubble
– Memoji updates include the ability to adjust the body shape of any Memoji
– Contact Key Verification provides automatic alerts and Contact Verification Codes to help verify people facing extraordinary digital threats are messaging only with the people they intend
– Precipitation amounts help you stay on top of rain and snow conditions for a given day over the next 10 days
– New widgets let you choose from next-hour precipitation, daily forecast, sunrise and sunset times, and current conditions such as Air Quality, Feels Like, and wind speed
– Wind map snapshot helps you quickly assess wind patterns and access the animated wind map overlay to prepare for forecasted wind conditions for the next 24 hours
– Interactive moon calendar lets you easily visualize the phase of the moon on any day for the next month
This update also includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
– Siri support for privately accessing and logging Health app data using your voice
– AirDrop improvements including expanded contact sharing options and the ability to share boarding passes, movie tickets, and other eligible passes by bringing two iPhones together
– Favorite Songs Playlist in Apple Music lets you quickly get back to the songs you mark as favorites
– Use Listening History in Apple Music can be disabled in a Focus so music you listen to does not appear in Recently Played or influence your recommendations
– A new Digital Clock Widget lets you quickly catch a glimpse of the time on your Home Screen and while in StandBy
– Enhanced AutoFill identifies fields in PDFs and other forms enabling you to populate them with information such as names and addresses from your contacts
– New keyboard layouts provide support for 8 Sámi languages
– Sensitive Content Warning for stickers in Messages prevents you from being unexpectedly shown a sticker containing nudity
– Qi2 charger support for all iPhone 13 models and iPhone 14 models
– Fixes an issue that may prevent wireless charging in certain vehicles
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
You will also find updates for other Apple system software, including macOS Sonoma 14.2 for Mac, iOS/iPadOS 16.7.3 updates for older iPhone and iPad models, macOS Ventura 13.6.3 and macOS Monterey 12.7.2 for older Macs, watchOS 10.2 for Apple Watch, tvOS 17.2 for Apple TV, and a HomePod update.