Stop iTunes web links from opening iTunes
I’m kind of annoyed when I click a web link and it happens to be an iTunes Store link… iTunes then opens and it takes me out of my browser. I searched around for an easy solution and came across TheAppleBlog, they published a nice how-to guide on preventing iTunes from launching every time you click on an iTunes web link. Here’s their method for stopping this in Safari:
Prevent web links from launching iTunes with Safari
For other versions of Safari, or if you don’t want to use extensions, carry on:
Changing Safari’s behavior with iTunes links is really easy within Snow Leopard, here’s how to do it:
* Create any text file on your desktop, name the file change.itms
* Confirm the file extension change (from text to itms)
* Get Info about the change.itms file by selecting it and hitting Command+i (or Right-click and select ‘Get Info’)
* Hit the arrow next to ‘Open with:’ and you’ll see iTunes.app is selected as the default, this is what you want to change
* Click the pull down menu and select ‘Other’ and then navigate to Safari, enable ‘All Applications’, then click ‘Add’ and “Change All”
* “Change All” is important because it will change the behavior of all clicked itms (iTunes Music Store) links to launch within Safari rather than iTunes
That’s it! You may need to relaunch Safari to experience the changed behavior, but it worked fine for me when I opened a new Safari window.
What about stopping iTunes links in Chrome and Firefox?